Writing Letters to Anjali Was Tougher Than Batting, Says Sachin Tendulkar
By Rama Mohan | February 27, 2014 8:40 PM EST
Writing letters to wife Anjali was tougher than batting on the pitch, said legendary cricketer Sachin Tendulkar. He was speaking at a programme organized by a private company in Chennai to promote handwriting skills among school children on 26 February.
"Hitting a cricket ball came naturally to me. But, while writing letters to Anjali, I had to doubly check what I was writing," NDTV quoted the 40-year-old former batsman.
During the pre-mobile era, "the only mode of communication was through landlines or writing letters, I started writing letters. I started with my parents and later wrote some letters to (wife) Anjali," he added.
The cricketer told the gathering that he used to write letters often and also praised Anjali's handwriting. He also revealed that among Indian cricketers, Anil Kumble owns the art of beautiful handwriting.
When asked who had the worst handwriting among Indian cricketers, pat came the answer, "you generally tend to notice only the good things na?".
"I can't write with the right hand. I hope there is some technology that teaches us to use the right hand as well. Tendulkar is a right-handed batsman but uses his left for writing. "But, I can eat with both hands," he said, adding that children should practice handwriting.
He revealed that he was spending his retirement life happily with family and children-Sarah and Arjun as there was ample time to spend. "I also play cricket with my son Arjun at home occasionally," he said.
Comparing handwriting skills with batting skills in cricket, he said: "Once you learn them, they are there forever. to start anything in life, basics are very important."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Julie Bishop to Attend UN Climate Summit; Australia Pressured to Announce 'Bolder' Target
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date