INS Sindhuratna Submarine Fire Accident: 2 Officers Died On Board, Confirms Indian Navy
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 27, 2014 8:14 PM EST
Two officers, who were missing since fire broke out on board INS Sindhuratna submarine on Wednesday, have died, the Navy confirmed on Thursday.
The deceased officers - Lt Commander Kapish Muwal and Lt Manoranjan Kumar - were declared missing on Wednesday after the fire mishap on board the 25-year-old Indian Navy submarine that left seven other sailors unconscious. The two naval officers are said to have been trapped in one of the compartments of the submarine.
Indian submarine INS Sindhurakshak hit by blast in Mumbai dockyard - Reuters
Seven sailors, who were found unconscious from suffocation, were airlifted to a Navy hospital in Mumbai on Wednesday, while two were recorded as "unaccounted for". The fire reportedly broke out in the crew accommodation area of the submarine, which was undergoing a sea test about 50 kilometres off the Mumbai coast.
The Russian-built Kilo Class submarine was docked safely at the Mumbai harbor after the mishap. The warship was not carrying any weapon when the incident happened, as it was still being tested and not yet placed under operational command.
Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi resigned on Wednesday, taking moral responsibility for the mishap. Defence Minister AK Antony said that he consulted the Prime Minister after the upset Navy Chief asked him to accept his resignation immediately.
The Indian Navy has been dogged with accidents of late, Sindhuratna submarine fire being the 10th mishap in the last few months. An explosion on INS Sindhurakshak submarine killed 18 sailors in August last year, and INS Airavat, an amphibious warfare vessel, ran aground earlier this month.
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510