INS Sindhuratna Submarine Fire Accident: 2 Officers Died On Board, Confirms Indian Navy
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 27, 2014 8:14 PM EST
Two officers, who were missing since fire broke out on board INS Sindhuratna submarine on Wednesday, have died, the Navy confirmed on Thursday.
The deceased officers - Lt Commander Kapish Muwal and Lt Manoranjan Kumar - were declared missing on Wednesday after the fire mishap on board the 25-year-old Indian Navy submarine that left seven other sailors unconscious. The two naval officers are said to have been trapped in one of the compartments of the submarine.
Indian submarine INS Sindhurakshak hit by blast in Mumbai dockyard - Reuters
Seven sailors, who were found unconscious from suffocation, were airlifted to a Navy hospital in Mumbai on Wednesday, while two were recorded as "unaccounted for". The fire reportedly broke out in the crew accommodation area of the submarine, which was undergoing a sea test about 50 kilometres off the Mumbai coast.
The Russian-built Kilo Class submarine was docked safely at the Mumbai harbor after the mishap. The warship was not carrying any weapon when the incident happened, as it was still being tested and not yet placed under operational command.
Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi resigned on Wednesday, taking moral responsibility for the mishap. Defence Minister AK Antony said that he consulted the Prime Minister after the upset Navy Chief asked him to accept his resignation immediately.
The Indian Navy has been dogged with accidents of late, Sindhuratna submarine fire being the 10th mishap in the last few months. An explosion on INS Sindhurakshak submarine killed 18 sailors in August last year, and INS Airavat, an amphibious warfare vessel, ran aground earlier this month.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Lightning Strikes Twice: Australian Woman Had Daughter in MH17 & Brother in MH370
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People