INS Sindhuratna Submarine Fire Accident: 2 Officers Died On Board, Confirms Indian Navy
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 27, 2014 8:14 PM EST
Two officers, who were missing since fire broke out on board INS Sindhuratna submarine on Wednesday, have died, the Navy confirmed on Thursday.
The deceased officers - Lt Commander Kapish Muwal and Lt Manoranjan Kumar - were declared missing on Wednesday after the fire mishap on board the 25-year-old Indian Navy submarine that left seven other sailors unconscious. The two naval officers are said to have been trapped in one of the compartments of the submarine.
Indian submarine INS Sindhurakshak hit by blast in Mumbai dockyard - Reuters
Seven sailors, who were found unconscious from suffocation, were airlifted to a Navy hospital in Mumbai on Wednesday, while two were recorded as "unaccounted for". The fire reportedly broke out in the crew accommodation area of the submarine, which was undergoing a sea test about 50 kilometres off the Mumbai coast.
The Russian-built Kilo Class submarine was docked safely at the Mumbai harbor after the mishap. The warship was not carrying any weapon when the incident happened, as it was still being tested and not yet placed under operational command.
Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi resigned on Wednesday, taking moral responsibility for the mishap. Defence Minister AK Antony said that he consulted the Prime Minister after the upset Navy Chief asked him to accept his resignation immediately.
The Indian Navy has been dogged with accidents of late, Sindhuratna submarine fire being the 10th mishap in the last few months. An explosion on INS Sindhurakshak submarine killed 18 sailors in August last year, and INS Airavat, an amphibious warfare vessel, ran aground earlier this month.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Woman Posts Ad for Herself As 'Professional Bridesmaid' On Craigslist
- Mass Panic Over Houston's 'Blinking Lights' in the Sky; UFO Sceptics Still Not Convinced
- American Journalist Steven Sotloff at Risk of Beheading Too If US Gov’t Refuses to Pay $100 Million Ransom to Islamic State Like It Did With James Foley
- Social Gap Between New Zealand Ethnic Groups 'Worsening'
- Autistic Business Owners Capitalize On Strengths For Success
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop