Sony Xperia Z1, Z1 Compact, Z Ultra Slated for Android KitKat v4.4.2 Update in April: Report
By Rohit KVN | February 27, 2014 6:52 PM EST
Earlier in the month, we heard that Sony's 2013 Q1 flagship phone Xperia Z would get the latest KitKat update in March. Now a report has surfaced online that three more high-end Sony devices are also slated to taste the new chocolate-wafer flavored OS in the month of April.
Sony Corp's President and Chief Executive Officer Kazuo Hirai presents a new Sony Xperia Z1 smartphone during it's world premier at the IFA consumer electronics fair in Berlin, September 4, 2013.
French network carrier, SFR (Société française de radiotéléphone) has revealed that Sony's three handsets - Xperia Z1, Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra would receive the new KitKat update in April.
Though this is a welcome development for Sony fans, the company is a little slow compared to its rivals Samsung, HTC and Motorola, which have already begun pushing the latest softwares to their marquee phones globally.
KitKat update has been seeded to top-end phones such as, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy S4, HTC One, One Max (Phablet), One Mini, LG G2 (in US and South Korea) and also to the mid-range phone Moto X and its sibling Moto G.
As of now, Sony is almost done with rolling out the Android v4.3 Jelly Bean OS to its 2013 high-end and mid-range models.
The new KitKat update is said to bring in enhancements like refreshing white status bar, improved performance, security, emoji characters to enrich texting experience, wireless printing (with select HP printers) and more.
Description of the Key Features of Android v4.4 KitKat OS Update Includes:
Improved Caller-ID: If a caller receives a call from an unknown number, the phone will look for matches on the net with local listings via Google Maps.
Priority Contacts: The new OS empowers the phone to automatically prioritize contact list for easy access, based on the frequency of the peoples' contacts to which users talk.
Immersive display: To enhance the entertainment factor, the new OS comes with immersive mode, where the status bar and navigation buttons disappear in to the back ground while you play music, games and read e-books. Users can just swipe the edge of the screen to bring back the utility buttons.
Enhanced Message grouping: Google has brought in some improvements to the new Hangouts app. Now, users can find all their text SMSs, MMSs, audio and video call details all at one place. User can also share location and send animated GIFs.
Emoji Characters: Initially users had to install third party app to use colorful characters in their SMS. Now, with KitKat update, the keypad comes pre-loaded with native Japanese emoji emoticon icons.
NFC and Wireless Printing: Google's new OS comes with a new Quickoffice app wherein people can create and store word documents in cloud storage as well as print files wirelessly on NFC-enabled HP printers.
Multi-tasking: With efficient memory management, users can multi-task by opening multiple applications- listen to music as you browse the net.
Performance: Like all software updates, the new KitKat enhances smartphone's performance as well as efficient RAM management, leading to an increase in battery life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family