UFC NEWS: Chris Weidman Anticipates Anderson Silva’s Return
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 27, 2014 5:17 PM EST
Chris Weidman defeated Anderson Silva not once, but twice, and his last victory over the Brazilian mixed martial artist nearly caused Silva his entire Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) career. Silva is currently recovering from the brutal leg injury he suffered from his last fight against Weidman at UFC 168. UFC fans anticipate Silva's return to the octagon ring and so does Weidman.
MMA: UFC 168-Weidman vs Silva (Reuters)
Speaking to MMAJunkie.com, Weidman revealed that he fully supports Silva's comeback in the UFC, only if he is in tip-top shape.
"If he comes back healthy and his mind's in the right place, I'd love to see him come back," said Weidman. According to the 29-year-old UFC Middleweight Champion, Silva has to listen to what the voice in the back of his mind is saying to him. He said that Silva, who celebrates his 39th birthday on April 14, should gauge himself. Weidman said that the Brazilian mixed martial artist should evaluate his current condition before he decides to step back into the ring.
"He had such a confidence in him, if he doesn't have that anymore, then I hope he doesn't come back."
"But if he comes back and he loves it and he's truly confident and injury-free, I'd love for him to come back," said Weidman.
UFC President Dana White on Silva's Recovery
Meanwhile, UFC president Dana White has high hopes that Silva will be able to make a comeback before 2014 is over. The doctor showed him how Silva's was recuperating and he was told the affected bone is healing so fast. "He could fight by the end of the year," said White. However, White made it clear that just because it is possible for Silva to return to the octagon ring in 2014 doesn't mean that the universe will align itself to make it really happen.
"He could hurt in training, anything is possible, or start training again and not feel the same."
"Anything can happen," White stated.
Silva Back on his Feet
Silva is back on his feet. He has been training while waiting for his injury to completely heal. He is completely walking without crutches and even doing some sparring. Who knows? He may well be really headed to the octagon ring sooner than people expected.
While Silva is continuing his recovery, Weidman will keep on fighting. The American mixed martial artist is slated to face Vitor Belfort in the main event of UFC 173 in May.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]