Samsung Galaxy S5: 7 Best Features vs. Other Flagship Smartphones and Upgrades Not Found on Galaxy S4 or S3
By Ryan Inoyori | February 27, 2014 4:46 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S5 flaunts a new design scheme and new features making it a total upgrade from Galaxy S4 and S3. It sports new hardware, new software and first-time Galaxy S ingress protection rating. Here are the top factors on how it beats iPhone 5S, HTC One, Moto X, Nexus and Xperia Z2.
Ingress Protection 67
For the first time, Samsung made a Galaxy S smartphone with Ingress Protection or IP rating 67. This means the Galaxy S5 has complete protection against dust contact. Users can submerge it up to 1 m of freshwater without expecting any harm within 30 minutes provided all ports are tightly closed.
Faster Auto Focus
Most flagship smartphones have auto focus feature on the rear camera lens, but Samsung upgraded the feature into Fast Auto Focus. This eliminates the need for users to wait split-second and miss catching the perfect moment.
Similar to Sony's special Background Defocus on the Xperia Z2, the Galaxy S5 can also capture images by blurring the background and focusing on the subject using Selective Focus. It focuses on detailing the target of the camera and blurs out the entire background as if zooming on the subject.
Multiple Wi-Fi Connection
Samsung installed the fifth generation Wi-Fi 802.11 ac on the Galaxy S5. This doubles the Wi-Fi connection, making it 2x faster than conventional Wi-Fi radios used by other flagship smartphones. The Galaxy S5 uses two internal Wi-Fi antennas to do this as well as accelerate speed via Wi-Fi.
Now, the Galaxy S5 has an improved security feature thanks to the Fingerprint Sensor installed on the display screen. The sensor can be personalised to unlock the phone. The scanner aso allows users to pay via Paypal to purchase contents from Samsung services.
Ultra Power Saving Mode
Power Saving mode on the new TouchWiz UI and Samsung apps has been upgraded to "ultra." In addition to extending the battery life using conventional conditions, the Ultra Power Saving mode can now further juice up the battery by adjusting the screen to black and white and shut down all unnecessary features altogether to dramatically sustain battery life throughout the day.
Healthy Lifestyle Features
Most features on S Health found on the Galaxy S4 are also available on the Galaxy S5. The S Health package feature of the S5 includes the following:
1. Heart Rate sensor: This is the first time that a smartphone can measure heart rate directly on the device without requiring any additional accessories.
2. Personal Fitness Tracker: Users can use the upgraded S Health fitness tracker to monitor their fitness routines daily.
3. Pedometer: Users can track down their goals using the pedometer to determine condition, walking distance, calories, speed, duration and more.
Other Technical Specifications
§ Android 4.4.2 KitKat with TouchWiz UI
§ 2.5 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801
§ 2 GB of RAM
§ 16 MP rear camera and 2 MP front-facing shooter with dual shot and video recording
§ 5.1-inch FHD Super AMOLED display
§ Corning Gorilla Glass 3
§ 16/32 GB internal storage with microSD card slot up to 128 GB support
§ 2,800 mAh battery.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop