Samsung Galaxy S5: 7 Best Features vs. Other Flagship Smartphones and Upgrades Not Found on Galaxy S4 or S3
By Ryan Inoyori | February 27, 2014 4:46 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S5 flaunts a new design scheme and new features making it a total upgrade from Galaxy S4 and S3. It sports new hardware, new software and first-time Galaxy S ingress protection rating. Here are the top factors on how it beats iPhone 5S, HTC One, Moto X, Nexus and Xperia Z2.
Ingress Protection 67
For the first time, Samsung made a Galaxy S smartphone with Ingress Protection or IP rating 67. This means the Galaxy S5 has complete protection against dust contact. Users can submerge it up to 1 m of freshwater without expecting any harm within 30 minutes provided all ports are tightly closed.
Faster Auto Focus
Most flagship smartphones have auto focus feature on the rear camera lens, but Samsung upgraded the feature into Fast Auto Focus. This eliminates the need for users to wait split-second and miss catching the perfect moment.
Similar to Sony's special Background Defocus on the Xperia Z2, the Galaxy S5 can also capture images by blurring the background and focusing on the subject using Selective Focus. It focuses on detailing the target of the camera and blurs out the entire background as if zooming on the subject.
Multiple Wi-Fi Connection
Samsung installed the fifth generation Wi-Fi 802.11 ac on the Galaxy S5. This doubles the Wi-Fi connection, making it 2x faster than conventional Wi-Fi radios used by other flagship smartphones. The Galaxy S5 uses two internal Wi-Fi antennas to do this as well as accelerate speed via Wi-Fi.
Now, the Galaxy S5 has an improved security feature thanks to the Fingerprint Sensor installed on the display screen. The sensor can be personalised to unlock the phone. The scanner aso allows users to pay via Paypal to purchase contents from Samsung services.
Ultra Power Saving Mode
Power Saving mode on the new TouchWiz UI and Samsung apps has been upgraded to "ultra." In addition to extending the battery life using conventional conditions, the Ultra Power Saving mode can now further juice up the battery by adjusting the screen to black and white and shut down all unnecessary features altogether to dramatically sustain battery life throughout the day.
Healthy Lifestyle Features
Most features on S Health found on the Galaxy S4 are also available on the Galaxy S5. The S Health package feature of the S5 includes the following:
1. Heart Rate sensor: This is the first time that a smartphone can measure heart rate directly on the device without requiring any additional accessories.
2. Personal Fitness Tracker: Users can use the upgraded S Health fitness tracker to monitor their fitness routines daily.
3. Pedometer: Users can track down their goals using the pedometer to determine condition, walking distance, calories, speed, duration and more.
Other Technical Specifications
§ Android 4.4.2 KitKat with TouchWiz UI
§ 2.5 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801
§ 2 GB of RAM
§ 16 MP rear camera and 2 MP front-facing shooter with dual shot and video recording
§ 5.1-inch FHD Super AMOLED display
§ Corning Gorilla Glass 3
§ 16/32 GB internal storage with microSD card slot up to 128 GB support
§ 2,800 mAh battery.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 635: Sprint, Boost Mobile And Virgin Mobile Set To Sell Windows Phone Handset
- ‘GTA V' Heists Release Date Update: Rockstar Confirms DLC Out In ‘Early 2015'
- High-End Tablets Face-Off: Google’s Nexus 9 Versus Apple’s iPad Air 2
- 'World Of Warcraft' 6.0.3 Patch Hotfixes Update Including The Satchel Of Savage Mysteries, Zidormi In Dustwallow Marsh And The Frostwall Mines
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ News: More On Volcanion Event And Easy To Catch Legendaries