Champions League Results: Mourinho Asks Chelsea Fans to Recreate Galatasaray Atmosphere for Return Leg
By Deepak Vikraman | February 27, 2014 4:12 PM EST
While Roberto Mancini and Jose Mourinho might not see eye-to-eye on several things, but the Galatasaray and Chelsea managers did agree on the 1-1 result of their Champions League last 16 first leg tie, calling it a fair reflection of the pattern of play.
Chelsea got off the blocks much quicker in front of a raucous crowd in Istanbul, with Fernando Torres scoring the opening goal in the ninth minute. The Blues could have extended their lead, but Galatasaray grew into the game in second half with Aurelien Ghedjou netting the equaliser a little after the hour mark to ensure the tie would remain delicately poised heading into the second leg at Stamford Bridge.
"In the end it's a good result," former Manchester City and Inter Milan manager Mancini said. "We made three or four mistakes early on but in the second half we played very well.
"In the first half we were too deep, we played with fear probably but I'm very happy with the second half. We made four or five mistakes during the match and naturally one of those led to a goal.
"In the second half we probably deserved to score another because we played very well and 1-1 is a good result. We got a lot of confidence in the second half. In the first we had too much respect for Chelsea but we need to play more like we did in the second half."
Mancini had given Chelsea an 80 percent chance of going through to the quarterfinals ahead of the first leg tie, but the Galatasaray manager now believes his side have a much better 40 percent chance of creating an upset following the 1-1 first leg draw.
"I expect a very difficult match in England but our players showed what we are capable of, especially in the second half," the Italian added. "The Premier League is one of the best competitions in the world and Chelsea are one of the best teams in the world, but now we have more chances than before the first leg was played. Now the chances for us to go through are around 40 percent."
Mourinho rued the fact his side could not take advantage of the chances created in the first half, with the Portuguese knowing a second goal from his side would have probably put the tie to bed.
"This is Turkey, Istanbul, Galatasaray," the Portuguese said. "Turkish football is very emotional and we were playing against a big club with big players. It's not easy. The first half was ours, we had chances to kill the game, but overall when we were counterattacking we were missing the last part. We had chances to score the second goal and that would have changed the game completely.
"In the second half they put pressure on us; they have powerful strikers and the full-backs attack a lot. We were still comfortable but we conceded a goal from a corner; that doesn't make me or the players happy, but we can't complain."
Mourinho believes if his team's supporters can create even a little of the intimidating atmosphere that the Blues players had to fight through in Istanbul, then Chelsea will stand a pretty good chance of ousting Galatasaray.
"It's a very difficult place to play. The result is not amazing but if Stamford Bridge can give us 10 percent of what this stadium gave Galatasaray, I will have to be happy."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop