iPhone 6 Features To Have New and Powerful Graphics Chip?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 27, 2014 4:06 PM EST
iPhone 6 features may include new and powerful graphics chip as supplier unveils 192-core GPU.
Imagination Technologies, Apple's supplier of graphic processors, has unveiled its new 192-core GPU that is the most powerful graphics yet for mobile phones and tablets. The new GPU named as PowerVR GX6650 was introduced at the recent Mobile World Congress.
iPhone 6 Concept
Earlier this month, Apple and Imagination Technologies said they continued their partnership. This means that the latter will continue to provide the graphics chip to Apple devices. But there is a big chance that the new 192-core GPU will come to iPhone 6.
Like in the previous Apple devices, the PowerVR GX6650 would be embedded on the mobile processors with integrated graphics. Current iPhone and iPad use PowerVR graphics processors. The A7 CPU was integrated with Imagination's PowerVR Series 6 graphics.
Imagination Technologies said PowerVR GX6650 bested popular graphics chip like Nvidia's upcoming Tegra K1 platform.
According to Apple Insider, "The PowerVR GX6650 has six unified shading clusters and 192 cores, allowing it to process 12 pixels per clock, a number Imagination says is triple that of its competitors. The new high-end mobile graphics chip is aimed at processors in high-end, high-resolution tablets or 4K smart TVs."
Meanwhile, Apple still has not disclosed the official iPhone 6 features. But it is speculated Apple's next flagship smartphone will pack a bigger screen display with the size of around 4.8 to 6 inches, faster and better A8 processor, and the upcoming iOS 8. Also, a lot of improvements may be seen in the device's fingerprint sensor and voice assistant.
Earlier, it was reported iPhone 6 will be released in June at the Worldwide Developers' Conference alongside next generation of iOS. But the latest reports claimed iPhone 6 release date will arrive in the second half of 2014 as the production of sapphire screen display, which is an essential feature in next iPhone, will start its production in the same period. Thus, it is most likely iPhone 6 will come in September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced