Apple Releases OS X 10.9.2: SLL Vulnerability Fix, FaceTime Audio Fix and More
By Precious Silva | February 27, 2014 3:36 PM EST
Apple has been under scrutiny recently because of the security flaw found its operating system. The major SSL security flaw was cited last February 21 following the release of the iOS 7.0.6. To address the raised problems, Apple released the OS X 10.9.2. The new system offers fixes for the SSL security problem, FaceTime Audio and More.
The bug comes in the form of a single line of errant code. It threatens users because it can allow an attacker to bypass SSL/TLS verification routines. This exposes OS X users to man-in-the-middle-attack. Wireless or shared wired networks can permit hackers to bypass communications on accessed machines. This can put passwords, log in credentials and other confidential information at risk. Attackers can also inject malware to cripple the system.
Although the SSL vulnerability can be traced back to the 2012 iOS, this only affects people using Macs running OS X 10.9. The vulnerability does not extend to Lion and Mountain Lion users.
Apple seeded the OS X 10.9.2 to developers last December. There were seven beta iterations during that time. The bug fix issued addresses OS X SSL problems, new blocking controls for FaceTime and iMessage, FaceTime Audio and FaceTime call waiting support. The emergency fix also offers Mail bug fixes including AutoFill improvements, fetching messages and a range of bug fixes and general enhancements.
Those using devices running on the OS X 10.9 Mavericks upgrade should switch to OS X 10.9.2 as soon as possible. This will immobilize the vulnerability. Upgrade details are as follows:
Apart from the OS X 10.9.2 upgrade, Apple also provided security enhancements for the OS X Lion and Mountain Lion:
Another important detail about the Mac OS X 10.9.2 update is the "goto fail" flax fix. The security can allow attackers inside a network to spy on or monitor the activities of the user. Apple was criticized for not responding just as fast.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James