India to Auction Three Coal Blocks; First Since Coalgate
February 27, 2014 2:46 PM EST
India has invited bids for three coal blocks containing reserves of about 499.4 million tonnes, the Coal Ministry said, in its first auction of mining rights following investigations into its earlier practice of allocating them.
Coal India Q1 net falls for first time in 5 quarters
The allocation controversy, dubbed "Coalgate", came up in 2012 after an auditor questioned the government's exercise of awarding mining concessions without competitive bidding. The CBI has already launched probes against industrialists and companies.
"The government has initiated an auction of coal blocks by inviting applications for the first time for allocating coal blocks through competitive bidding for specified end-uses," the Coal Ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.
Two of the coal blocks are located in Jharkhand and one in neighbouring West Bengal. The type of coal from the blocks would be used in the steel, cement and sponge iron industries, the statement said.
The ministry said in September that bidders would have to agree to milestones for obtaining environment and forest clearance permits and for developing the blocks.
Many companies that received coal blocks over the past decade had to give them up recently as the government found them slow to develop the blocks.
Difficulties in obtaining environmental approval and securing land for mining have made India the third-largest importer of coal, even though it sits on what BP (BP.L) ranks as the fifth-largest reserve. State-run Coal India (COAL.NS) is the dominant producer but frequently fails to meet targets.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia