Australia is 5th, New Zealand is 9th Best Countries in the World to Retire (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 27, 2014 9:51 AM EST
Many Baby Boomers, people born between 1946 and 1964, are already contemplating the question of where to spend their retirement years as most of them approach the end of their careers.
Natixis Global Retirement Index recently released its second list of the best countries where to spend your golden years.
In ranking the 150 counties, Natixis used four broad categories, namely: health, including life expectancy and access to quality health services; material well-being or the means to live a comfortable life in retirement; quality of life, including factors such as crime rates and air pollution; and finances, including strength of the host nation's financial system and tax rates.
Numbers are provided for the four categories with 10 being the highest. European nations dominated the list with 8 of the top 10 positions. The only two countries outside Europe that made it high on the list are from the southern hemisphere - Australia in 5th place and New Zealand in 9th place.
The topnotcher is Switzerland, followed by Norway, which just traded places from the first list. Switzerland is recommended for retirees who are into golf, hiking, skiing or hang gliding. Norway, with its population-to-oil reserve ratio "would make any Texas tycoon weep."
Australia was noted for its growing economy and extremely low levels of unemployment, while New Zealand is the haven for active retirees who are searching for a health conscious and outdoorsy community with beautiful and dramatic landscape to boot.
Here is the complete list of the top 10 retirement havens.
9. New Zealand
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS