Australia is 5th, New Zealand is 9th Best Countries in the World to Retire (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 27, 2014 9:51 AM EST
Many Baby Boomers, people born between 1946 and 1964, are already contemplating the question of where to spend their retirement years as most of them approach the end of their careers.
Natixis Global Retirement Index recently released its second list of the best countries where to spend your golden years.
A tall ship sails past the Sydney Opera House as it enters Sydney Harbour as part of the International Fleet Review celebrations
In ranking the 150 counties, Natixis used four broad categories, namely: health, including life expectancy and access to quality health services; material well-being or the means to live a comfortable life in retirement; quality of life, including factors such as crime rates and air pollution; and finances, including strength of the host nation's financial system and tax rates.
Numbers are provided for the four categories with 10 being the highest. European nations dominated the list with 8 of the top 10 positions. The only two countries outside Europe that made it high on the list are from the southern hemisphere - Australia in 5th place and New Zealand in 9th place.
The topnotcher is Switzerland, followed by Norway, which just traded places from the first list. Switzerland is recommended for retirees who are into golf, hiking, skiing or hang gliding. Norway, with its population-to-oil reserve ratio "would make any Texas tycoon weep."
Australia was noted for its growing economy and extremely low levels of unemployment, while New Zealand is the haven for active retirees who are searching for a health conscious and outdoorsy community with beautiful and dramatic landscape to boot.
Here is the complete list of the top 10 retirement havens.
9. New Zealand
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 17, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS