Australia is 5th, New Zealand is 9th Best Countries in the World to Retire (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 27, 2014 9:51 AM EST
Many Baby Boomers, people born between 1946 and 1964, are already contemplating the question of where to spend their retirement years as most of them approach the end of their careers.
Natixis Global Retirement Index recently released its second list of the best countries where to spend your golden years.
A tall ship sails past the Sydney Opera House as it enters Sydney Harbour as part of the International Fleet Review celebrations
In ranking the 150 counties, Natixis used four broad categories, namely: health, including life expectancy and access to quality health services; material well-being or the means to live a comfortable life in retirement; quality of life, including factors such as crime rates and air pollution; and finances, including strength of the host nation's financial system and tax rates.
Numbers are provided for the four categories with 10 being the highest. European nations dominated the list with 8 of the top 10 positions. The only two countries outside Europe that made it high on the list are from the southern hemisphere - Australia in 5th place and New Zealand in 9th place.
The topnotcher is Switzerland, followed by Norway, which just traded places from the first list. Switzerland is recommended for retirees who are into golf, hiking, skiing or hang gliding. Norway, with its population-to-oil reserve ratio "would make any Texas tycoon weep."
Australia was noted for its growing economy and extremely low levels of unemployment, while New Zealand is the haven for active retirees who are searching for a health conscious and outdoorsy community with beautiful and dramatic landscape to boot.
Here is the complete list of the top 10 retirement havens.
9. New Zealand
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install