Rachel Smalley Explains Shocking TV3 Exit
By Anne Lu | February 27, 2014 8:26 AM EST
Rachel Smalley surprised everyone when she left her high-profile jobs with TV3 and joined am early morning news program on Newstalk ZB. According to long-time journalist, she grew frustrated because there was “nowhere for me to go.”
In August, the Kiwi news presenter signed off from “Firstline” and “The Nation” to join the rival The Radio Network’s morning show “Early Edition.”
The move baffled many, but Smalley explained that she was trapped in a role that had nowhere to go.
“I didn’t feel that there was any desire to invest in women in senior primetime roles and I knew I couldn’t keep doing those hours. So I was at a real crossroads. I was frustrated,” she told the New Zealand Herald in an exclusive interview.
“I didn’t feel either programme had the support of senior management, the top levels of management of MediaWorks, so there was only so far I could take both programmes.”
And if the viewers and critics are baffled by Smalley’s exit from her TV news presenting roles to accept a radio role, she was even more confused by their reaction.
“It was odd. I found the reaction odd. People didn’t understand why you would walk away from television. I found that quite baffling, but perhaps that’s because of the perception of television – that people think it’s so glamorous and the pinnacle of journalism. And it’s not.”
Smalley isn’t in for the fame, though. She reiterated that she is a “purist journo” who loves what she does and not for the recognition it gives her.
“There’s a lot of people coming into media now, particularly TV... and the reality is a lot coming into TV now really should apply for ‘X-Factor’ because they want the celebrity and the fame that goes with it.
“I really do love what I do, I don’t do it because it triggers some element of recognition. I just love it,” she added.
“I love knowing everything I can about something. I found it fascinating being so involved with what’s going on and it’s fun – and work’s got to be fun.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers