Rachel Smalley Explains Shocking TV3 Exit
By Anne Lu | February 27, 2014 8:26 AM EST
Rachel Smalley surprised everyone when she left her high-profile jobs with TV3 and joined am early morning news program on Newstalk ZB. According to long-time journalist, she grew frustrated because there was “nowhere for me to go.”
In August, the Kiwi news presenter signed off from “Firstline” and “The Nation” to join the rival The Radio Network’s morning show “Early Edition.”
The move baffled many, but Smalley explained that she was trapped in a role that had nowhere to go.
“I didn’t feel that there was any desire to invest in women in senior primetime roles and I knew I couldn’t keep doing those hours. So I was at a real crossroads. I was frustrated,” she told the New Zealand Herald in an exclusive interview.
“I didn’t feel either programme had the support of senior management, the top levels of management of MediaWorks, so there was only so far I could take both programmes.”
And if the viewers and critics are baffled by Smalley’s exit from her TV news presenting roles to accept a radio role, she was even more confused by their reaction.
“It was odd. I found the reaction odd. People didn’t understand why you would walk away from television. I found that quite baffling, but perhaps that’s because of the perception of television – that people think it’s so glamorous and the pinnacle of journalism. And it’s not.”
Smalley isn’t in for the fame, though. She reiterated that she is a “purist journo” who loves what she does and not for the recognition it gives her.
“There’s a lot of people coming into media now, particularly TV... and the reality is a lot coming into TV now really should apply for ‘X-Factor’ because they want the celebrity and the fame that goes with it.
“I really do love what I do, I don’t do it because it triggers some element of recognition. I just love it,” she added.
“I love knowing everything I can about something. I found it fascinating being so involved with what’s going on and it’s fun – and work’s got to be fun.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers