Submarine INS Sindhuratna Mishap: Chief of Naval Staff Admiral DK Joshi Resigns
By Johnlee Varghese | February 27, 2014 3:06 AM EST
Taking moral responsibility for the accidents and incidents which have taken place during the past few months, the Chief of Naval Staff Admiral DK Joshi resigned from the post on Wednesday evening.
Chief of Naval Staff Admiral DK Joshi Resigns/Wikicommons
The government has accepted the resignation of Admiral Joshi with immediate effect, a statement from Press Information Bureau stated.
Vice Admiral RK Dhowan, the Vice Chief of Naval Staff, will be discharging the duties of CNS, till the appointment of a regular CNS.
Seven sailors were injured and two officers are missing after an accident on board submarine INS Sindhuratna off the Mumbai coast.
INS Sindhuratna, the Russian-origin Kilo Class submarine, was carrying no weapons or ammunition.
This is a second major accident concerning an Indian Navy Submarine. Back in August, submarine INS Sindhurakshak sank in the Mumbai harbour after an explosion on board, killing 18 sailors.
Admiral Joshi assumed had office on 31 August 2012 and is known as a specialist in anti-submarine warfare.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- Strike vs ISIS Countdown: Arab Nations Signify Intent to Join U.S. Fight
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date