How ‘The Walking Dead’ Manages to Beat the Hell Out of 2014 Sochi Winter Games?
By Tarun Mazumdar | February 26, 2014 10:44 PM EST
"The Walking Dead" is the undisputed champion on TV. Not even 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics could beat. "TWD" managed to beat the ratings of the game three weeks in a row. For those who follow the show know that AMC's hit TV series is one hell of a show in the horror genre.
In the ratings department, "The Walking Dead" wins the 18-49 demographic with each new season or mid-season premiere beating the last record as opposed to dropping in the ratings.
The question is how a show like "The Walking Dead" which features zombies and a bunch of survivors beat important sport events like Sochi Winter Olympics.
This show is not just a horror show with the traditional kill-that-zombie-and-move-on setup. It is beyond walker slaying. Fans love the ongoing storyline of "The Walking Dead." The show does not end the excitement in a one-hour format. Also, it allows the fans to connect with the characters at an emotional level. Fans care about the lives of their favourite characters. Numerous tissue boxes were emptied when Hershel Greene was brutally beheaded in "The Walking Dead" season 4, mid-season finale episode.
The show is also quite versatile in the zombie genre. According to a report on Time, the viewers can get a lot of hidden meaning from "The Walking Dead" characters.
The most important of all is the short run of each season. "The Walking Dead" seasons consist of 16 episodes divided into two chunks. Also, after the end of one chunk, the next starts after months. It helps to build the curiosity and prevents the audience to get bored of the show.
Coming back to "The Walking Dead" shadowing 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, Deadline reported that the show's season 4, episode 11 earned a 6.6 rating with 8.4 million viewers in the 18-49 bracket, while the Winter Games' finale managed to score only 3.2 with 4.09 million viewers in the same bracket.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Sept. 22-26 Spoilers: Updates On Nick And Sharon’s Wedding, Hilary, Neil, Phyllis, Chelsea, Billy And More
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border