How ‘The Walking Dead’ Manages to Beat the Hell Out of 2014 Sochi Winter Games?
By Tarun Mazumdar | February 26, 2014 10:44 PM EST
"The Walking Dead" is the undisputed champion on TV. Not even 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics could beat. "TWD" managed to beat the ratings of the game three weeks in a row. For those who follow the show know that AMC's hit TV series is one hell of a show in the horror genre.
In the ratings department, "The Walking Dead" wins the 18-49 demographic with each new season or mid-season premiere beating the last record as opposed to dropping in the ratings.
The question is how a show like "The Walking Dead" which features zombies and a bunch of survivors beat important sport events like Sochi Winter Olympics.
This show is not just a horror show with the traditional kill-that-zombie-and-move-on setup. It is beyond walker slaying. Fans love the ongoing storyline of "The Walking Dead." The show does not end the excitement in a one-hour format. Also, it allows the fans to connect with the characters at an emotional level. Fans care about the lives of their favourite characters. Numerous tissue boxes were emptied when Hershel Greene was brutally beheaded in "The Walking Dead" season 4, mid-season finale episode.
The show is also quite versatile in the zombie genre. According to a report on Time, the viewers can get a lot of hidden meaning from "The Walking Dead" characters.
The most important of all is the short run of each season. "The Walking Dead" seasons consist of 16 episodes divided into two chunks. Also, after the end of one chunk, the next starts after months. It helps to build the curiosity and prevents the audience to get bored of the show.
Coming back to "The Walking Dead" shadowing 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, Deadline reported that the show's season 4, episode 11 earned a 6.6 rating with 8.4 million viewers in the 18-49 bracket, while the Winter Games' finale managed to score only 3.2 with 4.09 million viewers in the same bracket.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS