Frequent Sex Makes You Intelligent: New Study
By Parismita Goswami | February 26, 2014 9:57 PM EST
A latest research has found that sexual activity not only acts as a stress buster and burns away those extra calories but also boosts intelligence.
Frequent Sex Makes You Intelligent, New Study Says
Researchers from Maryland and South Korea carried out a research on mice that were refrained from having sex, which resulted in a decrease in their intelligence.
The study explains that frequent sex helps supply more oxygen to the brain cells, thus increasing intelligence. Making love increases the production of neurons - the building blocks of the nervous system - in the hippocampus; the part of the brain responsible for long-term memory.
"We discovered that even though there had been the production of new neurons, the cognitive abilities acquired during the experiment decreased once the mice were subjected to long periods without sexual activity", said psychologists from the University of Maryland.
"Sexual interaction could be helpful for buffering adult hippocampal neurogenesis and recognition memory function against the suppressive actions of chronic stress," according to a press release.
In another recent study by Canadian researchers, it was found that half-an-hour of intense sexual activity burns more calories than a treadmill walk. The study evaluated the sexual activity of 21 couples between the age of 18 and 35. A 25-minute activity, helped men burn 100 calories on an average and women 69 calories. The intensity of the action is proportionate to playing double tennis or an uphill walk for 20 minutes or 40 minutes of yoga.
British Heart Foundation suggests that daily sex of 30 minutes is as healthy as a walk with the dog.
Apparently, older couples who are more sexually active are less likely to suffer from Alzheimer's disease or dementia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mars Unusual Feature: Alien Skull Buried In Martian Sand
- Seals In Antarctica Are Sexually Assaulting King Penguins
- Accidental Electrocution Makes 12-Year-Old Russian Boy ‘Magnetic’ Similar To X-Men Character
- Kid Discovers 100-million-year-old Marine Reptile Fossil
- Winter Has Come; Snow Covers Half Of US
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary