Frequent Sex Makes You Intelligent: New Study
By Parismita Goswami | February 26, 2014 9:57 PM EST
A latest research has found that sexual activity not only acts as a stress buster and burns away those extra calories but also boosts intelligence.
Frequent Sex Makes You Intelligent, New Study Says
Researchers from Maryland and South Korea carried out a research on mice that were refrained from having sex, which resulted in a decrease in their intelligence.
The study explains that frequent sex helps supply more oxygen to the brain cells, thus increasing intelligence. Making love increases the production of neurons - the building blocks of the nervous system - in the hippocampus; the part of the brain responsible for long-term memory.
"We discovered that even though there had been the production of new neurons, the cognitive abilities acquired during the experiment decreased once the mice were subjected to long periods without sexual activity", said psychologists from the University of Maryland.
"Sexual interaction could be helpful for buffering adult hippocampal neurogenesis and recognition memory function against the suppressive actions of chronic stress," according to a press release.
In another recent study by Canadian researchers, it was found that half-an-hour of intense sexual activity burns more calories than a treadmill walk. The study evaluated the sexual activity of 21 couples between the age of 18 and 35. A 25-minute activity, helped men burn 100 calories on an average and women 69 calories. The intensity of the action is proportionate to playing double tennis or an uphill walk for 20 minutes or 40 minutes of yoga.
British Heart Foundation suggests that daily sex of 30 minutes is as healthy as a walk with the dog.
Apparently, older couples who are more sexually active are less likely to suffer from Alzheimer's disease or dementia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Luckiest Koala: Hit by a Car and Hung On To It From Maryborough to Gympie
- New Technology to Build Invisible Material Using Light: Study Says
- UK Converts Coal Plants Into Solar Cell Farms
- Streaks of Jealousy Found Among Dogs
- Health Experts Plead Action to Prevent Skin Cancer Epidemic in New Zealand
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies