Frequent Sex Makes You Intelligent: New Study
By Parismita Goswami | February 26, 2014 9:57 PM EST
A latest research has found that sexual activity not only acts as a stress buster and burns away those extra calories but also boosts intelligence.
Frequent Sex Makes You Intelligent, New Study Says
Researchers from Maryland and South Korea carried out a research on mice that were refrained from having sex, which resulted in a decrease in their intelligence.
The study explains that frequent sex helps supply more oxygen to the brain cells, thus increasing intelligence. Making love increases the production of neurons - the building blocks of the nervous system - in the hippocampus; the part of the brain responsible for long-term memory.
"We discovered that even though there had been the production of new neurons, the cognitive abilities acquired during the experiment decreased once the mice were subjected to long periods without sexual activity", said psychologists from the University of Maryland.
"Sexual interaction could be helpful for buffering adult hippocampal neurogenesis and recognition memory function against the suppressive actions of chronic stress," according to a press release.
In another recent study by Canadian researchers, it was found that half-an-hour of intense sexual activity burns more calories than a treadmill walk. The study evaluated the sexual activity of 21 couples between the age of 18 and 35. A 25-minute activity, helped men burn 100 calories on an average and women 69 calories. The intensity of the action is proportionate to playing double tennis or an uphill walk for 20 minutes or 40 minutes of yoga.
British Heart Foundation suggests that daily sex of 30 minutes is as healthy as a walk with the dog.
Apparently, older couples who are more sexually active are less likely to suffer from Alzheimer's disease or dementia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- Two Moons Hoax Surfaces Again: Debunked By Scientists, Twitter Explodes With Reactions
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine