Citizen Sues Chinese Government over Air pollution that Resembles Nuclear Winter
By Johnlee Varghese | February 26, 2014 9:37 PM EST
A Chinese man who has been frustrated with having to live in a toxic nuclear winter-like smoggy northern city has sued the government, for failing to curb air pollution, a state-run newspaper reported.
Man in a mask in China/Reuters
The air pollution in China is so bad now that scientists have been warning that it resembles a nuclear winter, and that the toxic air can wreck havoc on plants and food grains.
Li Guixin, a resident of Shijiazhuang, capital of the northern province of Hebei, has now become the first person in China to sue the government for failing to curb air pollution.
A Reuters report, sourcing the Yanzhao Metropolis Daily, stated that Li submitted a complaint to a district court, asking the city's Municipal Environmental Protection Bureau to "perform its duty to control air pollution according to the law".
The air pollution in China is reaching crisis level, and for the last week Beijing has been shrouded in stinking smog. In a bid to cut pollution, 147 industrial companies in Beijing suspended their production. According to a report in The Guardian, He Dongxian, an associate professor at China Agricultural University's College of Water Resources and Civil Engineering, said that if the smog persists, Chinese agriculture will suffer conditions "somewhat similar to a nuclear winter".
At present, the air pollution situation is said to be bordering crisis level, and recently the Chinese government issued its first ever orange alert - the second most severe code in its pollution monitoring plan - in Beijing.
The particulate matter in Beijing was found to be PM2.5 at a concentration of 237 micrograms per cubic metre, which is nine times higher than the levels recommended as safe by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New String Of Ebola In The Democratic Republic Of The Congo; DFAT Advises Against Travel
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- Sex With 20 Women Or More Reduces Risk Of Prostate Cancer, Canadian Research Says
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight