Citizen Sues Chinese Government over Air pollution that Resembles Nuclear Winter
By Johnlee Varghese | February 26, 2014 9:37 PM EST
A Chinese man who has been frustrated with having to live in a toxic nuclear winter-like smoggy northern city has sued the government, for failing to curb air pollution, a state-run newspaper reported.
Man in a mask in China/Reuters
The air pollution in China is so bad now that scientists have been warning that it resembles a nuclear winter, and that the toxic air can wreck havoc on plants and food grains.
Li Guixin, a resident of Shijiazhuang, capital of the northern province of Hebei, has now become the first person in China to sue the government for failing to curb air pollution.
A Reuters report, sourcing the Yanzhao Metropolis Daily, stated that Li submitted a complaint to a district court, asking the city's Municipal Environmental Protection Bureau to "perform its duty to control air pollution according to the law".
The air pollution in China is reaching crisis level, and for the last week Beijing has been shrouded in stinking smog. In a bid to cut pollution, 147 industrial companies in Beijing suspended their production. According to a report in The Guardian, He Dongxian, an associate professor at China Agricultural University's College of Water Resources and Civil Engineering, said that if the smog persists, Chinese agriculture will suffer conditions "somewhat similar to a nuclear winter".
At present, the air pollution situation is said to be bordering crisis level, and recently the Chinese government issued its first ever orange alert - the second most severe code in its pollution monitoring plan - in Beijing.
The particulate matter in Beijing was found to be PM2.5 at a concentration of 237 micrograms per cubic metre, which is nine times higher than the levels recommended as safe by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports