Japanese Agency Responds to Sea Shepherd's Attack Claims; Sea Shepherd Calls for Protection in Open Letter
By Reissa Su | February 26, 2014 8:21 PM EST
Japan's Fisheries agency has spoken up about Australia-based Sea Shepherd's accusations that it "attacked" one of its ships on Feb 23. According to a report from a Japanese news agency, the Sea Shepherd has "seriously hampered" its whaling research programme in the Antarctic Ocean when ropes thrown by the anti-whaling group in front of the Yushin Maru No 3 and the Yushin Maru had become entangled in the ships' propellers.
Handout picture of water canon being sprayed from Japanese whaling ship towards small Sea Shepherd boat off the coast of Antarctica. June 14, 2013. REUTERS
The Japanese Fisheries Agency said one of its ships was damaged from the heavy metal weights attached to the ropes.
Anti-whaling organisation Sea Shepherd has claimed that the Japanese whaling ship "attacked" its ship in the dark in what it described as a "ruthless assault."
According to reports, the Japanese whaling fleet had allegedly disabled the Sea Shepherd ship in the Southern Ocean. The anti-whaling organisation based in Australia said two Japanese whaling ships had ambushed its ship, Bob Barker, on Feb 23. The Japanese whaling ships had reportedly tried to jam the Bob Barker's propellers and rubbers.
Peter Hammarstedt, captain of the Bob Barker, described what happened during the night of the attack. He said he had been following the Japanese whaling ship Nisshin Maru since the morning of Feb 23. The captain believes the Japanese crew had waited until nightfall to "launch their onslaught."
Sea Shepherd releases open letter to Greg Hunt
ABC has published an open letter from Captain Peter Hammarstedt of the Bob Barker, one of the Sea Shepherds ships in the Antartica's Souther Ocean Whale Santuary.
Here is an excerpt of the letter:
"Every year leading up to the Antarctic whaling season, the Governments of Australia, New Zealand, The Netherlands and the United States of America ask both parties in the struggle over the sanctity of the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary to show restraint. It's an easy way to skirt taking any actual responsibility for the clashes that occur in the Antarctic - why enforce the law against poachers when it's so much more convenient to just ask them to play nice?"
The Sea Shepherd captain urges Australian Environment Minister Greg Hunt to fulfill his promise during the elections and send an observer ship to the Southern Ocean.
Mr Hammarstedt also said in the letter that he is "losing hope" in the Australian government to protect Sea Shepherd ships. "When the whalers throw heavy metal objects at my crew, I instruct them to not throw anything back - not even in self-defense," said the Bob Barker captain.
He said he has realised the "attack" on his ship happened beyond the Australian Antarctic Territory, but he appealed for the safety of his crew who were also Australian citizens. The Australian government is still responsible for their safety.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Julie Bishop to Attend UN Climate Summit; Australia Pressured to Announce 'Bolder' Target
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect