‘Downton Abbey’ Season 5: Future Talk, Creator Aspires to Write Like ‘Mad Men’ Writers
By Anshu Shrivastava | February 26, 2014 7:37 PM EST
The filming of "Downton Abbey" Season 5 is currently taking place. "Downton Abbey" Season 4 thankfully did not kill any character in the season finale, and according to Julian Fellowes, creator of "Downton Abbey," the characters survived because none of the actors decided to quit after Season 4.
In an interview with The New York Times, Fellowes said that he is watching "Mad Men" and calls it his favourite show. Talking about Don Draper, he said that he is a "completely ambivalent character," as it not easy to decide whether he a good man, a fraud, or he is nothing.
"That is the kind of writing I aspire to. I think they have a very similar range. One minute, some secretary's driving a lawnmower over an executive's foot. And the next, Don Draper's brother is hanging himself," Fellowes said.
When asked if it is time to think about the "end-game" in Season 5 of "Downton Abbey," Fellowes did not rule-out the possibility of that. He said that his show is not like a soap-opera that can go on forever. Also, ITV does not order more than the next season.
"And they never commission that until you're in this season. But I think it seems like the right sort of rhythm," Fellowes said.
Fellowes also said that he would know in time when it is time to wrap-up "Downton Abbey," which will enable him to show the end on his own terms.
As reported previously, three new characters will be introduced in "Downton Abbey" Season 5. These characters are Simon Bricker, played by Richard E. Grant, Lady Anstruther, played by Anna Chancellor, and Kuragin, played by Rade Sherbedgia.
Talking about the new characters, Gareth Neame, executive producer of Downton Abbey, said to The Hollywood Reporter that "Richard [E. Grant] and Anna [Chancellor] are two very fun additions."
Neame also discussed the question when "Downton Abbey" is ending. He said "If we were to end the show now, the show is still growing and playing in new territories around the world, but I would never want anyone to think we went too long. It's about us trying to find a balance and calling things at the right time."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone