‘Downton Abbey’ Season 5: Future Talk, Creator Aspires to Write Like ‘Mad Men’ Writers
By Anshu Shrivastava | February 26, 2014 7:37 PM EST
The filming of "Downton Abbey" Season 5 is currently taking place. "Downton Abbey" Season 4 thankfully did not kill any character in the season finale, and according to Julian Fellowes, creator of "Downton Abbey," the characters survived because none of the actors decided to quit after Season 4.
In an interview with The New York Times, Fellowes said that he is watching "Mad Men" and calls it his favourite show. Talking about Don Draper, he said that he is a "completely ambivalent character," as it not easy to decide whether he a good man, a fraud, or he is nothing.
"That is the kind of writing I aspire to. I think they have a very similar range. One minute, some secretary's driving a lawnmower over an executive's foot. And the next, Don Draper's brother is hanging himself," Fellowes said.
When asked if it is time to think about the "end-game" in Season 5 of "Downton Abbey," Fellowes did not rule-out the possibility of that. He said that his show is not like a soap-opera that can go on forever. Also, ITV does not order more than the next season.
"And they never commission that until you're in this season. But I think it seems like the right sort of rhythm," Fellowes said.
Fellowes also said that he would know in time when it is time to wrap-up "Downton Abbey," which will enable him to show the end on his own terms.
As reported previously, three new characters will be introduced in "Downton Abbey" Season 5. These characters are Simon Bricker, played by Richard E. Grant, Lady Anstruther, played by Anna Chancellor, and Kuragin, played by Rade Sherbedgia.
Talking about the new characters, Gareth Neame, executive producer of Downton Abbey, said to The Hollywood Reporter that "Richard [E. Grant] and Anna [Chancellor] are two very fun additions."
Neame also discussed the question when "Downton Abbey" is ending. He said "If we were to end the show now, the show is still growing and playing in new territories around the world, but I would never want anyone to think we went too long. It's about us trying to find a balance and calling things at the right time."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28