‘Downton Abbey’ Season 5: Future Talk, Creator Aspires to Write Like ‘Mad Men’ Writers
By Anshu Shrivastava | February 26, 2014 7:37 PM EST
The filming of "Downton Abbey" Season 5 is currently taking place. "Downton Abbey" Season 4 thankfully did not kill any character in the season finale, and according to Julian Fellowes, creator of "Downton Abbey," the characters survived because none of the actors decided to quit after Season 4.
In an interview with The New York Times, Fellowes said that he is watching "Mad Men" and calls it his favourite show. Talking about Don Draper, he said that he is a "completely ambivalent character," as it not easy to decide whether he a good man, a fraud, or he is nothing.
"That is the kind of writing I aspire to. I think they have a very similar range. One minute, some secretary's driving a lawnmower over an executive's foot. And the next, Don Draper's brother is hanging himself," Fellowes said.
When asked if it is time to think about the "end-game" in Season 5 of "Downton Abbey," Fellowes did not rule-out the possibility of that. He said that his show is not like a soap-opera that can go on forever. Also, ITV does not order more than the next season.
"And they never commission that until you're in this season. But I think it seems like the right sort of rhythm," Fellowes said.
Fellowes also said that he would know in time when it is time to wrap-up "Downton Abbey," which will enable him to show the end on his own terms.
As reported previously, three new characters will be introduced in "Downton Abbey" Season 5. These characters are Simon Bricker, played by Richard E. Grant, Lady Anstruther, played by Anna Chancellor, and Kuragin, played by Rade Sherbedgia.
Talking about the new characters, Gareth Neame, executive producer of Downton Abbey, said to The Hollywood Reporter that "Richard [E. Grant] and Anna [Chancellor] are two very fun additions."
Neame also discussed the question when "Downton Abbey" is ending. He said "If we were to end the show now, the show is still growing and playing in new territories around the world, but I would never want anyone to think we went too long. It's about us trying to find a balance and calling things at the right time."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Episode 11 On Hold, Return Date, Title And Synopsis Of New Episode
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast