‘Downton Abbey’ Season 5: Future Talk, Creator Aspires to Write Like ‘Mad Men’ Writers
By Anshu Shrivastava | February 26, 2014 7:37 PM EST
The filming of "Downton Abbey" Season 5 is currently taking place. "Downton Abbey" Season 4 thankfully did not kill any character in the season finale, and according to Julian Fellowes, creator of "Downton Abbey," the characters survived because none of the actors decided to quit after Season 4.
In an interview with The New York Times, Fellowes said that he is watching "Mad Men" and calls it his favourite show. Talking about Don Draper, he said that he is a "completely ambivalent character," as it not easy to decide whether he a good man, a fraud, or he is nothing.
"That is the kind of writing I aspire to. I think they have a very similar range. One minute, some secretary's driving a lawnmower over an executive's foot. And the next, Don Draper's brother is hanging himself," Fellowes said.
When asked if it is time to think about the "end-game" in Season 5 of "Downton Abbey," Fellowes did not rule-out the possibility of that. He said that his show is not like a soap-opera that can go on forever. Also, ITV does not order more than the next season.
"And they never commission that until you're in this season. But I think it seems like the right sort of rhythm," Fellowes said.
Fellowes also said that he would know in time when it is time to wrap-up "Downton Abbey," which will enable him to show the end on his own terms.
As reported previously, three new characters will be introduced in "Downton Abbey" Season 5. These characters are Simon Bricker, played by Richard E. Grant, Lady Anstruther, played by Anna Chancellor, and Kuragin, played by Rade Sherbedgia.
Talking about the new characters, Gareth Neame, executive producer of Downton Abbey, said to The Hollywood Reporter that "Richard [E. Grant] and Anna [Chancellor] are two very fun additions."
Neame also discussed the question when "Downton Abbey" is ending. He said "If we were to end the show now, the show is still growing and playing in new territories around the world, but I would never want anyone to think we went too long. It's about us trying to find a balance and calling things at the right time."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’