‘Downton Abbey’ Season 5: Future Talk, Creator Aspires to Write Like ‘Mad Men’ Writers
By Anshu Shrivastava | February 26, 2014 7:37 PM EST
The filming of "Downton Abbey" Season 5 is currently taking place. "Downton Abbey" Season 4 thankfully did not kill any character in the season finale, and according to Julian Fellowes, creator of "Downton Abbey," the characters survived because none of the actors decided to quit after Season 4.
In an interview with The New York Times, Fellowes said that he is watching "Mad Men" and calls it his favourite show. Talking about Don Draper, he said that he is a "completely ambivalent character," as it not easy to decide whether he a good man, a fraud, or he is nothing.
"That is the kind of writing I aspire to. I think they have a very similar range. One minute, some secretary's driving a lawnmower over an executive's foot. And the next, Don Draper's brother is hanging himself," Fellowes said.
When asked if it is time to think about the "end-game" in Season 5 of "Downton Abbey," Fellowes did not rule-out the possibility of that. He said that his show is not like a soap-opera that can go on forever. Also, ITV does not order more than the next season.
"And they never commission that until you're in this season. But I think it seems like the right sort of rhythm," Fellowes said.
Fellowes also said that he would know in time when it is time to wrap-up "Downton Abbey," which will enable him to show the end on his own terms.
As reported previously, three new characters will be introduced in "Downton Abbey" Season 5. These characters are Simon Bricker, played by Richard E. Grant, Lady Anstruther, played by Anna Chancellor, and Kuragin, played by Rade Sherbedgia.
Talking about the new characters, Gareth Neame, executive producer of Downton Abbey, said to The Hollywood Reporter that "Richard [E. Grant] and Anna [Chancellor] are two very fun additions."
Neame also discussed the question when "Downton Abbey" is ending. He said "If we were to end the show now, the show is still growing and playing in new territories around the world, but I would never want anyone to think we went too long. It's about us trying to find a balance and calling things at the right time."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6