Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 2/26/14
By Steven Daghlian, CommSec Market Analyst | February 26, 2014 7:13 PM EST
Local shares held on to modest gains by the close, with the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) rising by 3pts or a little less than 0.1 per cent. The energy sector surged, while the miners were the biggest drag on trade.
China's iron ore demand expected to rise by 50 million tonnes in 2013
The resource sector slumped by 1.2 per cent today, with BHP Billiton (BHP), Rio Tinto (RIO) and Fortescue Metals (FMG) all sliding sharply. Keep in mind that the mining industry has surged by around 6 per cent since the start of this month.
The earnings season is winding down this week; as week four tends to be one of the quieter weeks of the season. Westfield (WDC), Lend Lease (LLC), Flight Centre (FLT) and Sydney Airport (SYD) issued earnings today however. Further details can be found https://research.commsec.com.au/reportingseason
Global property developer Lend Lease (LLC) posted a 16.4 per cent slide in half year profit to $251.6m. The result was impacted by a fall in revenue from its development unit and a 26 per cent slump in operating profit locally. LLC pre-sold 1,200 units; including 159 apartments at Sydney's Barangaroo South development (sold in 3.5 hours). Development profit slumped by $75.4m; partly due to income in the previous half which included earnings from the first two commercial towers at Barangaroo.
Flight Centre (FLT) increased its first half profit by close to 21 per cent between July-December 2013. The travel agent improved sales, productivity and expanded its network. FLT's Australian business contributed most to earnings. A $0.55 per share dividend was declared, payable to eligible investors on 17th April.
Sydney Airport rose by 2.8 per cent after announcing a 7.3% rise in EBIT to $910 million from $848 million previously. The result was ahead of the market's forecasts. The last 12 months have seen SYD accomplish a number of milestones, including the acquisition of minorities; increasing its ownership in Sydney Airport to 100 per cent.
AGL Energy Limited (AGK) posted a $261m first half profit, which was below market expectations, AGK shares slipped by 0.2 per cent. Warm weather over winter held back the result. AGK expects a more favourable result in the second half. AGL will pay out an interim dividend of $0.30 per share on the 4th April
At the close, 2.18b shares were traded, worth $5.6bn. 470 stocks finished higher, 526 ended in the red and 352 closed unchanged.
Looking ahead, there are a number of reports scheduled to be released tonight. The U.K's quarterly growth reading together with investment and a German consumer confidence report will be highlights in Europe. In the U.S., new home sales for January and an update on crude oil inventories will also demand some attention and can impact oil prices.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers