Congress Likely to Make Chiranjeevi Next CM of United AP
By Rama Mohan | February 26, 2014 6:59 PM EST
The Union Tourism Minister and actor K. Chiranjeevi is likely to become the next Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, media reports indicate. However, the UPA government at the Centre will take a decision on 26 February 2014 on the formation of a government in AP and its new CM, said the party's state in charge and AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh in Delhi on 25 February.
"There will be clarity on the next government on Wednesday," The Times of India quoted Singh.
Singh held a four-hour long meeting with Congress central leaders and leaders from Andhra Pradesh.
The present political impasse in the state has arisen following the resignation of Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, protesting the division of the united AP state. With this, it is clear that Congress wants to utilize the charisma of the Megastar at the present political scenario.
If Chiranjeevi is made the Chief Minister of united AP, he will be the present term's fourth Congress CM, after Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy, K Rosaiah and N Kiran Kumar Reddy. Chiranjeevi's term, if he is made the next AP CM, would be for about three months.
The UPA government is yet to carve out Telangana from AP as promised. It is believed that Congress' strategy is to utilise Chiranjeevi's polularity to revive the party in Seemandhra, the remnant of AP, once Telangana is formed.
Congress has begun consultations with party leaders from Andhra Pradesh on the formation of a new government in the state. Singh, in-charge of party affairs in AP, will meet leaders from Seemandhra, who have been loyal to the party, according to State Congress president Botsa Satyanarayana.
He said that Congress has majority in the Assembly, but maintained that the question of who would be the CM is not important. Satyanarayana, who hails from Seemandhra, said that the important point is addressing the concerns of the people in the region and reviving Congress in the face of defections.
Several leaders from Seemandhra, including Union ministers, reportedly met Singh separately and held talks on the prevailing situation.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase