Mysterious Egyptian Spiral Seen on Google Maps – Alien or Ancient Monument?
By Parismita Goswami | February 26, 2014 5:58 PM EST
The mysterious Egyptian spiral located in the eastern Sahara desert, which was earlier thought to be an alient spacecraft or an ancient monument, is actually an environmental art installation.
Google Maps Screenshot
Environmental Art Installation Desert Breath
Desert Breath, the art piece was constructed in March 1997 by Danae Stratou, Alexandra Stratou and Stella Constantinides, who worked as a team to build the huge 1 million square foot artwork. It is located close to the shores of Red Sea, Sahara desert.
Desert Breath, constructed with two interconnected spirals - one spiral with vertical cones and the other with pointed depressions and a small lake at the center of the spirals. But the recent google map images show that the lake has no water and the entire structure is slowly collapsing as the sand that forms the structure is blowing off with the wind.
"In our mind's eye, the desert was a place where one experiences infinity. We were addressing the desert as a state of mind, a landscape of the mind. The point of departure was the conical form, the natural formation of the sand as a material," Danae Stratou stated in a blog.
"With the gradual disintegration of the art piece, Desert Breath has become an instrument to measure the passage of time. Located at the point where the immensity of the sea meets the immensity of the desert, the work functions on two different levels in terms of viewpoint: from above as a visual image, and from the ground, walking the spiral pathway, a physical experience," Stratou writes.
Desert Breath is not the only strange piece of art found on Google Earth. There are other strange sights on it including the mysterious Phantom Island in South Pacific Australia, Lake of blood in Sadr city, Iraq and many more.
To look at images of other strange sights, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More