Navy Submarine INS Sindhuratna Suffers Mishap off Mumbai Coast: 5 Sailors Airlifted, 2 Missing
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 26, 2014 5:42 PM EST
A mishap on an Indian Navy submarine Sindhuratna off the Mumbai coast has forced the ship to head back to the shore. Reports suggest that four or five sailors fell unconscious from suffocation, after smoke was detected on board.
Indian Navy Library
Indian Navy Warships (Representational Image)
The sailors have been airlifted to a Mumbai hospital, NDTV reported. The news channel has also reported that two officers are missing.
The Navy submarine INS Sindhuratna was being tested after being fixed for an unknown fault and was sailing 40 to 50 km off the Mumbai coast when the smoke was detected.
Among those present on board was the senior-most submarine officer of the Western Naval Command.
As the ship was said to be in a testing mode, it was not under operational command. It has also become clear that the submarine was not carrying any weapons or ammunition.
The incident gave a cryptic reminder of August 2013's mishap, wherein another Navy submarine, the INS Sindhurakshak, sank in the Mumbai harbor after an explosion on board. The blast had killed 18 sailors.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family