Navy Submarine INS Sindhuratna Suffers Mishap off Mumbai Coast: 5 Sailors Airlifted, 2 Missing
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 26, 2014 5:42 PM EST
A mishap on an Indian Navy submarine Sindhuratna off the Mumbai coast has forced the ship to head back to the shore. Reports suggest that four or five sailors fell unconscious from suffocation, after smoke was detected on board.
Indian Navy Library
Indian Navy Warships (Representational Image)
The sailors have been airlifted to a Mumbai hospital, NDTV reported. The news channel has also reported that two officers are missing.
The Navy submarine INS Sindhuratna was being tested after being fixed for an unknown fault and was sailing 40 to 50 km off the Mumbai coast when the smoke was detected.
Among those present on board was the senior-most submarine officer of the Western Naval Command.
As the ship was said to be in a testing mode, it was not under operational command. It has also become clear that the submarine was not carrying any weapons or ammunition.
The incident gave a cryptic reminder of August 2013's mishap, wherein another Navy submarine, the INS Sindhurakshak, sank in the Mumbai harbor after an explosion on board. The blast had killed 18 sailors.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine