Google Nexus 6: 5 Major Upgrades on Release Date After Google I/O 2014
By Ryan Inoyori | February 26, 2014 5:42 PM EST
The Nexus 6 will run the upcoming Android version rumoured as 4.5 which may be tipped off during Google I/O event. Sources have hinted major upgrade details Google plans for the newest addition to the next line and so here are list of what people may expect on its release.
Brand New Processor
Google may shift the Nexus 6 to similar processing technology used by the iPhone 5S and Galaxy S5 by incorporating the upcoming Qualcomm's 64-bit processor octa-core architecture. Nexus 5 sports 2.3 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 and Nexus 6 according to Digitimes will prefer using Snapdragon 810 octa-core CPU.
Reliable sources expect that Qualcomm will release the rumoured Nexus 6 processor around the Q2 of 2014 which matches the same timeframe of Google I/O 2014. Moreover, Snapdragon 810 SoC is likely to feature four ARM Cortex A57 and A53 chipsets using ARM big.LITTLE configuration for balance and efficient performance.
Lenovo as Maker
Lenovo may have got the rights of Motorola to manufacturer the last Nexus devices during the buyout. Eldar Murtazin tweeted the information which makes Lenovo a strong candidate to produce a Nexus product that focuses on the U.S. market. However, he didn't reveal if it's a Nexus smartphone or a tablet.
Bigger RAM for 64-Bit Support
Processor with 64-bit support enable manufacturers to install bigger RAMs using similar concepts with laptops and computers. Nexus 6 may feature 3 to 4 GB of RAM at least to maximise the processing capability of Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810. It will make the upcoming smartphone quick on loading apps and games, and faster on processing camera images and video recordings.
Upgrading the Camera
If Nexus 5 boasts 8 MP rear camera shooter, expect higher camera lens on Nexus 6 such as 13 MP minimum. As usual, Nexus 6 will have the Optical Image Stabilisation technology, HDR and photo sphere but we also expect something new such as 4K video recording or BSI technology on the device. Google may also upgrade the front camera from 2 to 5 MP.
Android 4.5 Version
There is no solid evidences yet regarding the exact version after Android KitKat and no one knows yet which dessert name will take its place. But several improvements are likely to be discussed during the Google I/O 2014 regarding wireless technologies, gaming experience, accessibility, entertainment and more.
Some notable topics for Android on Google I/O sessions are:
1. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
2. Gaming experience on the Play Store
3. Daydream feature
4. Graphics performance
5. Android Cloud storage and services
7. Mobile TV
8. Android OS scripting
9. Networking support
10. Battery and audio performances
The Nexus 6 already missed the Mobile World Congress so we are looking within the release date from a month after Google I/O up to the Android's 2014 anniversary when the new version is expected to be released.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage