Google Nexus 6: 5 Major Upgrades on Release Date After Google I/O 2014
By Ryan Inoyori | February 26, 2014 5:42 PM EST
The Nexus 6 will run the upcoming Android version rumoured as 4.5 which may be tipped off during Google I/O event. Sources have hinted major upgrade details Google plans for the newest addition to the next line and so here are list of what people may expect on its release.
Brand New Processor
Google may shift the Nexus 6 to similar processing technology used by the iPhone 5S and Galaxy S5 by incorporating the upcoming Qualcomm's 64-bit processor octa-core architecture. Nexus 5 sports 2.3 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 and Nexus 6 according to Digitimes will prefer using Snapdragon 810 octa-core CPU.
Reliable sources expect that Qualcomm will release the rumoured Nexus 6 processor around the Q2 of 2014 which matches the same timeframe of Google I/O 2014. Moreover, Snapdragon 810 SoC is likely to feature four ARM Cortex A57 and A53 chipsets using ARM big.LITTLE configuration for balance and efficient performance.
Lenovo as Maker
Lenovo may have got the rights of Motorola to manufacturer the last Nexus devices during the buyout. Eldar Murtazin tweeted the information which makes Lenovo a strong candidate to produce a Nexus product that focuses on the U.S. market. However, he didn't reveal if it's a Nexus smartphone or a tablet.
Bigger RAM for 64-Bit Support
Processor with 64-bit support enable manufacturers to install bigger RAMs using similar concepts with laptops and computers. Nexus 6 may feature 3 to 4 GB of RAM at least to maximise the processing capability of Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810. It will make the upcoming smartphone quick on loading apps and games, and faster on processing camera images and video recordings.
Upgrading the Camera
If Nexus 5 boasts 8 MP rear camera shooter, expect higher camera lens on Nexus 6 such as 13 MP minimum. As usual, Nexus 6 will have the Optical Image Stabilisation technology, HDR and photo sphere but we also expect something new such as 4K video recording or BSI technology on the device. Google may also upgrade the front camera from 2 to 5 MP.
Android 4.5 Version
There is no solid evidences yet regarding the exact version after Android KitKat and no one knows yet which dessert name will take its place. But several improvements are likely to be discussed during the Google I/O 2014 regarding wireless technologies, gaming experience, accessibility, entertainment and more.
Some notable topics for Android on Google I/O sessions are:
1. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
2. Gaming experience on the Play Store
3. Daydream feature
4. Graphics performance
5. Android Cloud storage and services
7. Mobile TV
8. Android OS scripting
9. Networking support
10. Battery and audio performances
The Nexus 6 already missed the Mobile World Congress so we are looking within the release date from a month after Google I/O up to the Android's 2014 anniversary when the new version is expected to be released.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- HTC One Mini 2 vs. LG G2 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install