Google Nexus 6 Release Date at I/O Event in June; Motorola-Lenovo, LG Fight as Manufacturer
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 26, 2014 3:44 PM EST
Google Nexus 6 was speculated to be released at the company's I/O Conference in June and companies fight over the right to take the helm.
The handset is rumoured to be manufactured by Motorola and Lenovo. It was speculated that the two companies will help each other in making the smartphone. However, there is also a great possibility that LG will take the helm due to the popularity of the previous Nexus 4 and Nexus 5.
Nexus 6 concept image
Many people find it ironic that Google sold off Motorola even before it contributed to the company in making the next Nexus smartphone. It was speculated before that Google bought the company to be its hardware wing in order for Google to have the liberty to make its own devices.
Nexus smartphones were usually released in the fall. This requires adequate time for research and development for the device. However, rumours claimed that Google Nexus 6 will be released early at the I/O event that happens usually in the summer.
Meanwhile, the Google Nexus 6 will pack the 64-bit version of its Snapdragon 800-series chipset known as the Snapdragon 810, according to DigiTimes. The said processor will debut in the second half of this year.
Supposedly, the chipset will feature 8-cores running in an ARM big.LITTLE configuration to combine speed and battery efficiency. Of the 8 cores, 4 will be ARM Cortex-A57 CPUs and the other 4 will be Cortex-A53 CPUs.
Meanwhile, 91mobiles.com published a listing of the alleged Google Nexus 6. The listing showed off a 5.2-inch full-HD curved LCD display, Corning Gorilla Glass Protection. The handset will be powered by the upcoming 3GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor paired with 3GB RAM. The next Nexus smartphone will most likely be available in 32GB/64GB/128GB storage variants.
At the back, the device will sport a 13 MP camera and a 5 MP front-facing camera. The handset will be equipped with Bluetooth, NFC, Micro-USB, Wi-Fi, 4G. Just like the previous Google devices, Nexus 6 will be announced alongside a new Android OS. The web site claimed that the Android 4.5 OS will be named Lollypop.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports