Google Nexus 6 Release Date at I/O Event in June; Motorola-Lenovo, LG Fight as Manufacturer
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 26, 2014 3:44 PM EST
Google Nexus 6 was speculated to be released at the company's I/O Conference in June and companies fight over the right to take the helm.
The handset is rumoured to be manufactured by Motorola and Lenovo. It was speculated that the two companies will help each other in making the smartphone. However, there is also a great possibility that LG will take the helm due to the popularity of the previous Nexus 4 and Nexus 5.
Nexus 6 concept image
Many people find it ironic that Google sold off Motorola even before it contributed to the company in making the next Nexus smartphone. It was speculated before that Google bought the company to be its hardware wing in order for Google to have the liberty to make its own devices.
Nexus smartphones were usually released in the fall. This requires adequate time for research and development for the device. However, rumours claimed that Google Nexus 6 will be released early at the I/O event that happens usually in the summer.
Meanwhile, the Google Nexus 6 will pack the 64-bit version of its Snapdragon 800-series chipset known as the Snapdragon 810, according to DigiTimes. The said processor will debut in the second half of this year.
Supposedly, the chipset will feature 8-cores running in an ARM big.LITTLE configuration to combine speed and battery efficiency. Of the 8 cores, 4 will be ARM Cortex-A57 CPUs and the other 4 will be Cortex-A53 CPUs.
Meanwhile, 91mobiles.com published a listing of the alleged Google Nexus 6. The listing showed off a 5.2-inch full-HD curved LCD display, Corning Gorilla Glass Protection. The handset will be powered by the upcoming 3GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor paired with 3GB RAM. The next Nexus smartphone will most likely be available in 32GB/64GB/128GB storage variants.
At the back, the device will sport a 13 MP camera and a 5 MP front-facing camera. The handset will be equipped with Bluetooth, NFC, Micro-USB, Wi-Fi, 4G. Just like the previous Google devices, Nexus 6 will be announced alongside a new Android OS. The web site claimed that the Android 4.5 OS will be named Lollypop.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft