Asia Cup 2014: Pakistan vs Sri Lanka: Batting Let Us Down, Says Misbah
By Shruthi SU | February 26, 2014 3:40 PM EST
Pakistan might have thought they had the game when skipper Misbah-Ul-Haq and Umar Akmal were standing strong at the crease with 242 runs and four wickets down in the 43rd over. Well, that's when Lasith Malinga stepped in to rewrite the script for the day with a five-wicket haul. Pakistan were all out in the 49th over trying to chase down a not-so-difficult target of 297.
Misbah-ul-Haq plays a shot through the offside during his half-century against Sri Lanka, 25 February. Reuters
Understandably, Misbah was disappointed with the result but not so much with his team's effort.
"I think Umar batted really well, that was a crucial partnership. At that time we had six wickets in hand and we should have won this game," Misbah said. "The way Umar and I had a partnership going, if we had just played out the overs the match was easy. Only a wicket could get them back in the game, and that is the mistake we made."
Misbah said his team is used to chasing down targets and have no problems coping with pressure situations. In January recently, Pakistan had chased a daunting 307 in only 57 overs in the fourth innings of the Test match in Sharjah against the same opponents.
"I think there is no problem," he said. "We just chased in the Test match, and the effort even today was good. We should have batted the same way, batsmen should have taken a little bit more responsibility and finished the game."
Pakistan's bowlers had done their job well enough earlier in the day by restricting the Sri Lankans to 296 and going through the middle order with ease even after Kumar Sangakkara and Lahiru Thirimanne caused them early trouble.
"In the last 10 overs, if you see, whichever bowlers we used, they gave away 64 runs," Misbah said. "This was the reason we held them back. Saeed Ajmal and Junaid Khan have been bowling the last few overs for some time now, and they did the same thing today. I think at the start we bowled too many bad balls, or boundary balls. If we had bowled a little better then, the 10-15 run margin that decided the game, I think we could have done better."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide