Bombings and Shootings Kill 27 Around Iraq
February 26, 2014 3:06 PM EST
A parked car bomb blew up by a crowded Baghdad market on Tuesday night, killing at least 14 people and bringing the day's total death toll in political violence around Iraq to 27, security and medical sources said.
Iraq has been ripped by a series of bomb attacks in recent months (Representational Image)
The bomb went off in a side street in the Shi'ite district of Karaada in eastern Baghdad. It set cars on fire, shattered windows, tore apart stalls and demolished some storefronts.
Security forces fired off a fusillade of warning shots in the blast's aftermath. At least 14 people were killed and 45 wounded, medical and security officials said.
Baghdad has been hit by wave after wave of bombings since April as the precarious peace enjoyed since the end of Iraq's sectarian war in 2008 has unravelled.
In western Anbar province, where government forces are fighting rebellious Sunni tribes and an al Qaeda splinter group, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, three soldiers were killed and 18 others wounded when a car bomb rammed into the entrance of the governor's compound in the provincial capital Ramadi, according to medical and security sources.
Elsewhere, gunmen speeding in a car killed four policemen by a police checkpoint west of the oil refinery town of Baiji in northern Iraq. Most Sunni areas in central and northern Iraq have seen violence erupt as relations between the Shi'ite-led government in Baghdad and the Sunni minority have deteriorated.
In the town of Himreen in eastern Diyala province, riven by sectarian violence since last summer, a car bomb went off near a crowded market and killed three people, police sources said. Another three young men were killed when gunmen opened fire on them in Diyala's capital Baquba, police said.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop