MWC 2014 Launch: Samsung Galaxy S5 Enhancements Are Practical
By Judith Aparri | February 26, 2014 2:13 PM EST
The wait for the next Samsung flagship smartphone (nearly a year since the device' forerunner was launched) is over when the titan phone maker from South Korea launched in MWC Barcelona Samsung Galaxy S5. On the first day of the Mobile Congress on Monday, the device was disclosed and was known to the public.
Samsung Galaxy S5 features enhancements that aim more in making it indispensable, rather than placing crazy features that can make it stand out from the rest. The device does not deliver everything that Samsung fans hoped. In the conference, the company highlighted the features which matter most to the consumers. These include an improved camera with a 16-megapixel sensor, battery life and speed.
Design-wise, the phone's back changed to a perforated texture similar to an adhesive bandage with its indented dotted rubberized case that makes holding it interesting and easier than iPhone 5s and HTC One (without case). The rest just look like Galaxy S4 which leaves those who hope for a more metal backing disappointed.
Longer Battery Life
The device's practical enhancements may mean solving everyday problems. For instance, the horrible feeling when your phone is just less than 10 percent charged. The company boasts that the device can last 24 hours on standby which is enough time to charge again, to get a call or text message from family and friends.
The Galaxy S5 is water-resistant, and being so could give you peace of mind. You can stand with it in the rain, in the snow, but not when swimming, scuba diving or washing.
S5 has a fingerprint scanner that can be used not only for unlocking the phone but in other purposes as well. It can be utilized to access separate sections and personal files, or as mobile payment validation. In collaboration with Paypal, S5 users can authorize payments with a touch of their enrolled finger. This feature seems to further entice the company's growing enterprise user base.
The S5 has focus to be a workout companion. It has a heart-rate monitor, a feature that is found in Samsung's new wearable items which were revealed on Monday. The monitor is so small, next to the flash.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics