Amanda Bynes Sentenced to 3 Years Probation and 3-Month Alcohol Education Program as Part of DUI Plea Deal
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | February 26, 2014 2:10 PM EST
"What a Girl Wants" actress Amanda Bynes was sentenced on Monday, Feb. 24, to three years of probation and three months of alcohol education classes after the actress allegedly ran her BMW into a Los Angeles sheriff deputy's cruiser while trying to pass it about 3 o'clock in the morning near Robertson and Santa Monica boulevards in West Hollywood.
Amanda Bynes Declared Mentally Competent to Stand Trial for DUI Case/Reuters
Bynes was arrested and booked for suspicion of DUI, but refused to take the sobriety test. Bynes was released on bail later that day on April 6, 2012.
Two months later, in June 2012, the DUI charge was filed. According to CNN, after the cruiser incident, Bynes picked up two hit-and-run cases in the next several months, along with a charge of driving with a suspended license, but all of those charges were eventually dropped.
Los Angeles Times reported that Bynes had broken several laws in Los Angeles and New York, including a New York criminal case relating to an incident involving a bong allegedly thrown from her Manhattan apartment window 36 floors down to the ground that ended up with her setting Oaks home and being taken into custody on a mental health hold in 2013 by the Ventura County Sheriff's Department.
The 27-year-old troubled actress went into a residential psychiatric treatment facility for four months, and Bynes mother, Lynn, was granted conservatorship. A judge placed Bynes under an involuntary psychiatric hold which was extended at her parents' request.
Since getting out, Bynes had been attending college classes at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in Orange County. And according to E! News, Bynes has been spending lots of time reconnecting with her mom Lynn and dad Rick. Bynes also jumpstarted the New Year with a $3,250 week-long trip to Miracles Fitness Retreat in Utah.
Bynes' attorney Richard Hutton moved forward with the case today, Feb. 25, and entered a no-contest plea to an amended VC 23103, which is called "wet reckless".
The charge known as "wet reckless" is considered to be a result from a plea bargain to reduce charge of drunk driving.
Bynes was reported to be not in court today, Feb. 25. Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Edward Moreton still sentenced Bynes. The actress is expected to be under probation for three years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying