Sochi Olympics Athletes Bring Honour to AU – Minister for Sport Says
By Athena Yenko | February 26, 2014 1:39 PM EST
For the Sochi Winter Olympics of 2013-14, the Federal Government, through the Australian Sports Commission (ASC) allocated approximately $3 million to support winter sports.
The Minister for Sport, Peter Dutton, expressed satisfaction with how athletes participating for the Sochi Winter Olympics of 2013-14 bestowed pride to the country.
"The medal winning performances of aerial skiers Lydia Lassila and David Morris along with Torah Bright in the snowboard half pipe were outstanding and confirmed Australia's standing in the these events. It was also impressive to see Australia finished with ten top eight finishes in Sochi, building on the seven top eight finishes Australia achieved in Vancouver, which shows just how deep the nation's world class talent is in winter sports," Mr Dutton said through a statement.
Australia equalled its Winter Olympics record of three medals to finish on the medal table in 24th place.
Mr Dutton said that the country was equally proud for those athletes whose goals were not achieve as how the country was proud about those who bring home their medals.
"The Sochi Games highlighted just how competitive international sport is and while some of our athletes did not reach the lofty goals they set for themselves, there is much to celebrate. The depth of the good performances from some of the youngest athletes in the team is well worth celebrating and points to a bright future. All 60 Australian athletes in our team have given the nation their best effort on the back of years of dedication to get to Sochi and I congratulate them and the wider support team for their achievements," Mr Dutton added.
The Australian Olympic Team for Sochi Winter Olympics of 2014 truly brought pride and honour to the country as shown through how fans all over the globe made the team's digital campaign overwhelmingly successful.
According to the Australian Olympic Committee the national team was loved by fans like no other Winter Team before.
Fans were showing unbelievable attention and support through the national team's social media channels and the AOC education programs.
- 600,000 unique visitors & 3.25m page views on Team website. 275% increase from Vancouver 2010
- Five most popular athletes on the Sochi Team Website - Torah Bright, Alex Pullin, Brooklee Han, Jana Pittman and Emily Bamford
- Five most popular sports - Snowboard, Figure Skating, Bobsleigh, Freestyle Skiing, Alpine Skiing
- There were over 5,000 Fan Wall posts. Besides the medallists, Lucas Mata and Lavinia Chrystal topped the popularity stakes.
- @AUSOlympicTeam social media community has grown to over 350,000 friends, fans and followers
- Over 12.9 million impressions of @AUSOlympicTeam content on Facebook. Two posts about Torah Bright's silver medal reached over 740,000 people.
- Approximately 4,700 school children participated in Chat to a Champ video conferencing
- Lesson plans were downloaded 55,000 times. After the colouring in BK in a babushka doll the next most popular resource was the Upper Primary - Maths: Australian Teams over Time
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate