Fire 7 by Alcatel – Mozilla’s First Firefox Budget Tablet
By Judith Aparri | February 26, 2014 1:31 PM EST
Mozilla Firefox debuts its first budget tablet Fire 7 by Alcatel at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The tablet is a budget device capable of giving that "good feel" of a tablet when you get a hold of it, even with one hand.
The Fire 7 tablet is specifically labeled as a "concept" device, meaning, it could make it to the market or not. Nevertheless, if it does come, it will have a list of specs akin to that of the Fire S smartphone.
Fire 7 is using a great material on its rear, the one similar to Kindle Paperwhite which makes gripping good, unlike most of the Android tablets. Fire 7 is 9.9 mm thick and weighs 285 grams, though it does not feel heavy. Its rounded ages rest nicely on one's palm. There are no sharp edges in the device.
Fire 7 Features
Fire 7 is a beautiful thin tablet with 7-inch qHD 960 x 540 pixel display, which is a too low resolution; so that you can anticipate fonts and icons to look fuzzy with a naked eye, especially if you are used to Google Nexus 7. Google Nexus 7 has been spoiling users with its glorious high resolution.
The dual-core 1.2GHz processor powers the Firefox tablet. It is sporting with VGA rear and front cameras and holds 4GB internal storage that can be extended up to 32GB through the microSD card. RAM is 2GB. It might not be so fancy but we are already aware that the operating system of Firefox runs on very low-end units so this one's just fine for now.
Price is Fire 7's key attraction
With the $108 price tag, Fire 7 comes as a really less expensive tablet for the majority of the public. It will definitely not rock the boat where iOS and Android are. However, it seems like a new toy worth trying out without burning any hole in your wallet, when it finally comes out in the third quarter of this year. Pretty cool device!
Other Alcatel Devices Unveiled at WMC
Together with Fire 7 tablet's debut at WMC, its hardware maker Alcatel also announced new Firefox OS and Android smartphones in the Alcatel OneTouch category. Included are Fire C, Fire E and Fire S.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast