Fire 7 by Alcatel – Mozilla’s First Firefox Budget Tablet
By Judith Aparri | February 26, 2014 1:31 PM EST
Mozilla Firefox debuts its first budget tablet Fire 7 by Alcatel at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The tablet is a budget device capable of giving that "good feel" of a tablet when you get a hold of it, even with one hand.
The Fire 7 tablet is specifically labeled as a "concept" device, meaning, it could make it to the market or not. Nevertheless, if it does come, it will have a list of specs akin to that of the Fire S smartphone.
Fire 7 is using a great material on its rear, the one similar to Kindle Paperwhite which makes gripping good, unlike most of the Android tablets. Fire 7 is 9.9 mm thick and weighs 285 grams, though it does not feel heavy. Its rounded ages rest nicely on one's palm. There are no sharp edges in the device.
Fire 7 Features
Fire 7 is a beautiful thin tablet with 7-inch qHD 960 x 540 pixel display, which is a too low resolution; so that you can anticipate fonts and icons to look fuzzy with a naked eye, especially if you are used to Google Nexus 7. Google Nexus 7 has been spoiling users with its glorious high resolution.
The dual-core 1.2GHz processor powers the Firefox tablet. It is sporting with VGA rear and front cameras and holds 4GB internal storage that can be extended up to 32GB through the microSD card. RAM is 2GB. It might not be so fancy but we are already aware that the operating system of Firefox runs on very low-end units so this one's just fine for now.
Price is Fire 7's key attraction
With the $108 price tag, Fire 7 comes as a really less expensive tablet for the majority of the public. It will definitely not rock the boat where iOS and Android are. However, it seems like a new toy worth trying out without burning any hole in your wallet, when it finally comes out in the third quarter of this year. Pretty cool device!
Other Alcatel Devices Unveiled at WMC
Together with Fire 7 tablet's debut at WMC, its hardware maker Alcatel also announced new Firefox OS and Android smartphones in the Alcatel OneTouch category. Included are Fire C, Fire E and Fire S.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan