Russell Crowe Urges Pope Francis To Watch His Film ‘Noah’
By Anne Lu | February 26, 2014 12:57 PM EST
Russell Crowe wants Pope Francis to watch his film “Noah.” The New Zealand actor enlisted the help of his Twitter followers to convince the Catholic Church leader to watch his new biblical epic film.
Pope Francis holds a gift from children during his pastoral visit at the Saint Tommaso parish in the outskirts of Rome February 16, 2014. REUTERS/Remo Casilli
“Noah,” a film by Darren Aronofsky, is based on the story of the Noah’s Ark from the Book of Genesis, and stars Crowe as the titular character.
Crowe thinks that the Pope must see his film because it is “powerful, fascinating, resonant,” so he asked his 1.37 million followers to retweet his message to beseech the Pope to watch the screening of the film.
— Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 24, 2014
Villagers,given his environmental focus/scholarly knowledge ,trying to screen #Noah for Pope Francis. @Pontifex You help? retweet previous — Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 24, 2014
With his followers doing exactly as he asked and retweeting his tweet, he must have sensed that he has disturbed the Holy See’s Twitter account. He has offered an apology, but was still relentless in his pursuit.
— Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 25, 2014
Holy Father @Pontifex , it would be my deepest pleasure to bring the @DarrenAronofsky film to you to screen. That this may happen Inshallah — Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 25, 2014
If Pope Francis has decided to humour the “Gladiator” star, it would be deemed as an endorsement of his film, which would therefore create a huge boost. Pope Francis’ official Twitter account, @Pontifex, has 3.71 million followers, but more importantly, he is the leader of over a billion Roman Catholics worldwide.
He has not responded to Crowe’s tweets, though.
“Noah” has been the subject of criticisms even before its release date on March 28. A survey by the U.S. group Faith Driven Consumers found that 98 per cent of religious audiences are wary of the Hollywood adaptation because it might stray too far from the account written in the bible.
“Noah” also stars Jennifer Connelly, Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Anthony Hopkins. Crowe plays the title role, and Aronofsky co-produced, co-wrote, and directed the film.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys