Russell Crowe Urges Pope Francis To Watch His Film ‘Noah’
By Anne Lu | February 26, 2014 12:57 PM EST
Russell Crowe wants Pope Francis to watch his film “Noah.” The New Zealand actor enlisted the help of his Twitter followers to convince the Catholic Church leader to watch his new biblical epic film.
Pope Francis holds a gift from children during his pastoral visit at the Saint Tommaso parish in the outskirts of Rome February 16, 2014. REUTERS/Remo Casilli
“Noah,” a film by Darren Aronofsky, is based on the story of the Noah’s Ark from the Book of Genesis, and stars Crowe as the titular character.
Crowe thinks that the Pope must see his film because it is “powerful, fascinating, resonant,” so he asked his 1.37 million followers to retweet his message to beseech the Pope to watch the screening of the film.
— Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 24, 2014
Villagers,given his environmental focus/scholarly knowledge ,trying to screen #Noah for Pope Francis. @Pontifex You help? retweet previous — Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 24, 2014
With his followers doing exactly as he asked and retweeting his tweet, he must have sensed that he has disturbed the Holy See’s Twitter account. He has offered an apology, but was still relentless in his pursuit.
— Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 25, 2014
Holy Father @Pontifex , it would be my deepest pleasure to bring the @DarrenAronofsky film to you to screen. That this may happen Inshallah — Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 25, 2014
If Pope Francis has decided to humour the “Gladiator” star, it would be deemed as an endorsement of his film, which would therefore create a huge boost. Pope Francis’ official Twitter account, @Pontifex, has 3.71 million followers, but more importantly, he is the leader of over a billion Roman Catholics worldwide.
He has not responded to Crowe’s tweets, though.
“Noah” has been the subject of criticisms even before its release date on March 28. A survey by the U.S. group Faith Driven Consumers found that 98 per cent of religious audiences are wary of the Hollywood adaptation because it might stray too far from the account written in the bible.
“Noah” also stars Jennifer Connelly, Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Anthony Hopkins. Crowe plays the title role, and Aronofsky co-produced, co-wrote, and directed the film.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique