Russell Crowe Urges Pope Francis To Watch His Film ‘Noah’
By Anne Lu | February 26, 2014 12:57 PM EST
Russell Crowe wants Pope Francis to watch his film “Noah.” The New Zealand actor enlisted the help of his Twitter followers to convince the Catholic Church leader to watch his new biblical epic film.
Pope Francis holds a gift from children during his pastoral visit at the Saint Tommaso parish in the outskirts of Rome February 16, 2014. REUTERS/Remo Casilli
“Noah,” a film by Darren Aronofsky, is based on the story of the Noah’s Ark from the Book of Genesis, and stars Crowe as the titular character.
Crowe thinks that the Pope must see his film because it is “powerful, fascinating, resonant,” so he asked his 1.37 million followers to retweet his message to beseech the Pope to watch the screening of the film.
— Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 24, 2014
Villagers,given his environmental focus/scholarly knowledge ,trying to screen #Noah for Pope Francis. @Pontifex You help? retweet previous — Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 24, 2014
With his followers doing exactly as he asked and retweeting his tweet, he must have sensed that he has disturbed the Holy See’s Twitter account. He has offered an apology, but was still relentless in his pursuit.
— Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 25, 2014
Holy Father @Pontifex , it would be my deepest pleasure to bring the @DarrenAronofsky film to you to screen. That this may happen Inshallah — Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 25, 2014
If Pope Francis has decided to humour the “Gladiator” star, it would be deemed as an endorsement of his film, which would therefore create a huge boost. Pope Francis’ official Twitter account, @Pontifex, has 3.71 million followers, but more importantly, he is the leader of over a billion Roman Catholics worldwide.
He has not responded to Crowe’s tweets, though.
“Noah” has been the subject of criticisms even before its release date on March 28. A survey by the U.S. group Faith Driven Consumers found that 98 per cent of religious audiences are wary of the Hollywood adaptation because it might stray too far from the account written in the bible.
“Noah” also stars Jennifer Connelly, Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Anthony Hopkins. Crowe plays the title role, and Aronofsky co-produced, co-wrote, and directed the film.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Spoilers: Curly Hair Bachelorette’s Exit In Episode 16, Blake Talks About Laurina And Why He Rubbed His Eye
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown