Russell Crowe Urges Pope Francis To Watch His Film ‘Noah’
By Anne Lu | February 26, 2014 12:57 PM EST
Russell Crowe wants Pope Francis to watch his film “Noah.” The New Zealand actor enlisted the help of his Twitter followers to convince the Catholic Church leader to watch his new biblical epic film.
Pope Francis holds a gift from children during his pastoral visit at the Saint Tommaso parish in the outskirts of Rome February 16, 2014. REUTERS/Remo Casilli
“Noah,” a film by Darren Aronofsky, is based on the story of the Noah’s Ark from the Book of Genesis, and stars Crowe as the titular character.
Crowe thinks that the Pope must see his film because it is “powerful, fascinating, resonant,” so he asked his 1.37 million followers to retweet his message to beseech the Pope to watch the screening of the film.
— Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 24, 2014
Villagers,given his environmental focus/scholarly knowledge ,trying to screen #Noah for Pope Francis. @Pontifex You help? retweet previous — Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 24, 2014
With his followers doing exactly as he asked and retweeting his tweet, he must have sensed that he has disturbed the Holy See’s Twitter account. He has offered an apology, but was still relentless in his pursuit.
— Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 25, 2014
Holy Father @Pontifex , it would be my deepest pleasure to bring the @DarrenAronofsky film to you to screen. That this may happen Inshallah — Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 25, 2014
If Pope Francis has decided to humour the “Gladiator” star, it would be deemed as an endorsement of his film, which would therefore create a huge boost. Pope Francis’ official Twitter account, @Pontifex, has 3.71 million followers, but more importantly, he is the leader of over a billion Roman Catholics worldwide.
He has not responded to Crowe’s tweets, though.
“Noah” has been the subject of criticisms even before its release date on March 28. A survey by the U.S. group Faith Driven Consumers found that 98 per cent of religious audiences are wary of the Hollywood adaptation because it might stray too far from the account written in the bible.
“Noah” also stars Jennifer Connelly, Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Anthony Hopkins. Crowe plays the title role, and Aronofsky co-produced, co-wrote, and directed the film.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports