Russell Crowe Urges Pope Francis To Watch His Film ‘Noah’
By Anne Lu | February 26, 2014 12:57 PM EST
Russell Crowe wants Pope Francis to watch his film “Noah.” The New Zealand actor enlisted the help of his Twitter followers to convince the Catholic Church leader to watch his new biblical epic film.
Pope Francis holds a gift from children during his pastoral visit at the Saint Tommaso parish in the outskirts of Rome February 16, 2014. REUTERS/Remo Casilli
“Noah,” a film by Darren Aronofsky, is based on the story of the Noah’s Ark from the Book of Genesis, and stars Crowe as the titular character.
Crowe thinks that the Pope must see his film because it is “powerful, fascinating, resonant,” so he asked his 1.37 million followers to retweet his message to beseech the Pope to watch the screening of the film.
— Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 24, 2014
Villagers,given his environmental focus/scholarly knowledge ,trying to screen #Noah for Pope Francis. @Pontifex You help? retweet previous — Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 24, 2014
With his followers doing exactly as he asked and retweeting his tweet, he must have sensed that he has disturbed the Holy See’s Twitter account. He has offered an apology, but was still relentless in his pursuit.
— Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 25, 2014
Holy Father @Pontifex , it would be my deepest pleasure to bring the @DarrenAronofsky film to you to screen. That this may happen Inshallah — Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) February 25, 2014
If Pope Francis has decided to humour the “Gladiator” star, it would be deemed as an endorsement of his film, which would therefore create a huge boost. Pope Francis’ official Twitter account, @Pontifex, has 3.71 million followers, but more importantly, he is the leader of over a billion Roman Catholics worldwide.
He has not responded to Crowe’s tweets, though.
“Noah” has been the subject of criticisms even before its release date on March 28. A survey by the U.S. group Faith Driven Consumers found that 98 per cent of religious audiences are wary of the Hollywood adaptation because it might stray too far from the account written in the bible.
“Noah” also stars Jennifer Connelly, Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Anthony Hopkins. Crowe plays the title role, and Aronofsky co-produced, co-wrote, and directed the film.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Daenerys Targaryen vs Yezzan, Nymeria Sand Actress Announced at Comic Con 2014
- Sons of Anarchy Charlie Hunnam Heartbroken about Walking Away from Fifty Shades of Grey [VIDEO]
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Official Trailer Released Plus Premiere Date, Spoilers: Gun Battle, Zombies, Beth Greene [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide