Sony Xperia Z2 vs. Xperia Z1: 7 Major Improvements to Consider Upgrading to Xperia Z2
By Ryan Inoyori | February 26, 2014 11:56 AM EST
Sony unveiled the world's best camera and camcorder inside a waterproof smartphone called Xperia Z2. It features major upgrades from what the market has seen in Xperia Z1, but is it worth buying for such a steep price?
Better Display Screen
The Xperia Z2 has a slightly larger display size compared to the Xperia Z1, around 0.2 inches of difference. But Sony changed the display technology to IPS LCD instead of using the same TFT. Xperia Z2 owners can have better viewing in various angles compared on the Z1 due to the In-Plane Switching technology.
New OS and Launcher
Although Sony will update the Xperia Z1 to Android KitKat, Xperia Z2 users won't have to wait till that time happens. On top of default Android 4.4.2 features such as Cloud Printing and Android Cloud services, Sony updated the Xperia Home UI launcher and now comes with two versions for users to choose from. Users can choose the Simple Home to ease out the complex icons and UI of the classic launcher. They may also choose any third-party launchers they like to become default.
Improved Speed and Performance
The Xperia Z2's processing speed is slightly faster than Z1, where an additional 1 GB of RAM means a lot in multitasking and stability. The Xperia Z2 sports 3 GB RAM to keep performance snappy for games, apps and camera modes.
Timeshift Video and 4K
For those who adore Timeshift Burst on the Z1, the Xperia Z2 features Timeshift video which can process slow motion within a normal video recording. It records 120 fps 720p HD video and allows editing for one or multiple slow motion parts and then saves the file separately from the original copy.
Users may also record videos now in 4K which can be viewed better in larger TV screens wireless or via DLNA.
Stable video recording can be troublesome and so Sony added SteadyShot to prevent shaky hands from ruining the finished product using the Xperia Z2's rear camera. The video stabilisation technology works on 2,160p and 1,080p HD videos at 30 fps.
One of the major upgrades is the audio experience. The Xperia Z2 sports stereo speakers like HTC One. Aside from that, users can use five different sound engines to create perfect blending to their ears. Users can choose between Digital Noise Cancellation, ClearStereo, ClearBass, ClearPhase and xLOUD audio engines.
Longer Lasting Battery
Those who think the Xperia Z1 with Android 4.3 Jelly bean lasts longer than the Z2 with STAMINA mode are wrong. The Xperia Z2 has 3,200 mAh battery which is 200 higher than the Z1 and features the latest version of power management and STAMINA mode from Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware. Music playback on the Xperia Z2 lasts 10 hours more than the Z1.
|Technical Specifications||Xperia Z2 Sirius||Xperia Z1 Honami|
|Android Version||Android 4.4.2 KitKat||Android 4.3 Jelly Bean (latest)|
|Display||IPS LCD 5.2 inches 424 ppi||TFT 5.0 inches 441 ppi|
|Processor||2.3 GHz Snapdragon 801||2.2 GHz Snapdragon 800|
|Graphics||Adreno 330||Adreno 330|
|RAM||3 GB||2 GB|
|Rear Camera||20.7 MP Sony G lens with Timeshift video and 4K recording||20.7 MP Sony G lens|
|Front Camera||2.2 MP||2 MP|
The Xperia Z2 is not cheap and is currently priced at £599 in UK, €599 in Germany and €699 in France. Xperia Z1 owners may trade-in or sell their devices to slash the price off of the latest Sony flagship phone.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- Minecraft: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang Makers of Minecraft Today
- iPhone 6 Released: The 5 Biggest and Best Smartphones Of 2014: Their Best Features And Price Comparisons
- Xbox One News: Playable Games In Browser And Possible ‘Gears of War’ Exclusivity Reported
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown