Sony Xperia Z2 vs. Xperia Z1: 7 Major Improvements to Consider Upgrading to Xperia Z2
By Ryan Inoyori | February 26, 2014 11:56 AM EST
Sony unveiled the world's best camera and camcorder inside a waterproof smartphone called Xperia Z2. It features major upgrades from what the market has seen in Xperia Z1, but is it worth buying for such a steep price?
Better Display Screen
The Xperia Z2 has a slightly larger display size compared to the Xperia Z1, around 0.2 inches of difference. But Sony changed the display technology to IPS LCD instead of using the same TFT. Xperia Z2 owners can have better viewing in various angles compared on the Z1 due to the In-Plane Switching technology.
New OS and Launcher
Although Sony will update the Xperia Z1 to Android KitKat, Xperia Z2 users won't have to wait till that time happens. On top of default Android 4.4.2 features such as Cloud Printing and Android Cloud services, Sony updated the Xperia Home UI launcher and now comes with two versions for users to choose from. Users can choose the Simple Home to ease out the complex icons and UI of the classic launcher. They may also choose any third-party launchers they like to become default.
Improved Speed and Performance
The Xperia Z2's processing speed is slightly faster than Z1, where an additional 1 GB of RAM means a lot in multitasking and stability. The Xperia Z2 sports 3 GB RAM to keep performance snappy for games, apps and camera modes.
Timeshift Video and 4K
For those who adore Timeshift Burst on the Z1, the Xperia Z2 features Timeshift video which can process slow motion within a normal video recording. It records 120 fps 720p HD video and allows editing for one or multiple slow motion parts and then saves the file separately from the original copy.
Users may also record videos now in 4K which can be viewed better in larger TV screens wireless or via DLNA.
Stable video recording can be troublesome and so Sony added SteadyShot to prevent shaky hands from ruining the finished product using the Xperia Z2's rear camera. The video stabilisation technology works on 2,160p and 1,080p HD videos at 30 fps.
One of the major upgrades is the audio experience. The Xperia Z2 sports stereo speakers like HTC One. Aside from that, users can use five different sound engines to create perfect blending to their ears. Users can choose between Digital Noise Cancellation, ClearStereo, ClearBass, ClearPhase and xLOUD audio engines.
Longer Lasting Battery
Those who think the Xperia Z1 with Android 4.3 Jelly bean lasts longer than the Z2 with STAMINA mode are wrong. The Xperia Z2 has 3,200 mAh battery which is 200 higher than the Z1 and features the latest version of power management and STAMINA mode from Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware. Music playback on the Xperia Z2 lasts 10 hours more than the Z1.
|Technical Specifications||Xperia Z2 Sirius||Xperia Z1 Honami|
|Android Version||Android 4.4.2 KitKat||Android 4.3 Jelly Bean (latest)|
|Display||IPS LCD 5.2 inches 424 ppi||TFT 5.0 inches 441 ppi|
|Processor||2.3 GHz Snapdragon 801||2.2 GHz Snapdragon 800|
|Graphics||Adreno 330||Adreno 330|
|RAM||3 GB||2 GB|
|Rear Camera||20.7 MP Sony G lens with Timeshift video and 4K recording||20.7 MP Sony G lens|
|Front Camera||2.2 MP||2 MP|
The Xperia Z2 is not cheap and is currently priced at £599 in UK, €599 in Germany and €699 in France. Xperia Z1 owners may trade-in or sell their devices to slash the price off of the latest Sony flagship phone.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage