Canada Doctor Accused of Sexually Abusing Sedated Patients Gets 10 Years in Jail
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 26, 2014 11:45 AM EST
George Doodnaught, the Canadian anaesthesiologist who had been accused of sexually assaulting sedated patients, was sentenced to imprisonment for 10 years.
The age of the victims of the 65-year-old physician ranged between 25 and 75. The victims were the patients he was given responsibility for. The sedated patients helplessly watched themselves getting sexually abused, while Mr Doodnaught took advantage of their medical condition.
Later on, his victims testified against him, clarifying that they had remained conscious when Mr Doodnaught assaulted them in various ways, including kissing and fondling. However, their medical condition of helplessness propelled them to be silent witnesses of the act. Mr Doodnaught performed all his acts of sexual abuse in a Toronto hospital named North York General Hospital, except one, BBC reported.
Justice David McCombs called Mr Doodnaught's actions "reprehensible" at the Superior Court on Tuesday, Feb 25. He said that the physician's conduct ought to be "condemned in the strongest terms." Media reports confirmed that several of Mr Doodnaught's victims were seen crying after he had been sentenced. Mr Doodnaught had been employed for over a couple of decades at the hospital before he was convicted of sexually abusing his patients.
When Mr Doodnaught got arrested in 2010, Dr David White, the hospital chief, admitted that it was very much likely that an anaesthesiologist would spend time with patients alone as the nature of his job would allow him to. According to reports, Mr Doodnaught conducted the abuse on helpless patients between the period of 2006 and 2010. Other medical staffs were not able to notice anything as there was a surgical drape between them and the victims.
The argument placed from the defence was based on presumptions that sedated patients were likely to have daydreams of being sexually abused. There were efforts to refute all the allegations against Mr Doodnaught by calling the sexual abuse as "daydreams" of the patients. However, Mr Doodnaught's lawyers obviously failed to convince the judge.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos and Fellatio Video Hacker Could Face 10 Years In Prison
- Incest Charges For Georgia Siblings Who Had Sex Thrice After Watching The Notebook
- 3 Years Jail In Australian Prison For Former Playboy Model Brandi Brandt Over Cocaine Smugglng
- X-Men Director Bryan Singer Faces Sexual Assault Charges From 21-Year-Old Virginia Man
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How