Mayweather Tells Why he Chose Maidana Over Khan, To Avenge Broner’s Defeat?
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 26, 2014 9:51 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather has confirmed that he will face Marcos Maidana on May 3 after many months of speculations, finally dismissing Amir Khan's reveries of a dream fight with the undefeated pound-for-pound fighter.
Mayweather vs. Maidana
So why did Mayweather chose Maidana over Khan?
"Marcos Maidana's last performance immediately brought him to my attention," Mayweather told Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated.
"He is an extremely skilled fighter who brings knockout danger to the ring," he added. According to the Grand Rapids native who just celebrated his 37th birthday, Maidana fight is a great fight for him.
"He deserves the opportunity to see if he can do what 45 others have tried to do before him: beat me," said Mayweather.
Maidana is reportedly blissful for the opportunity of getting a shot at Mayweather's unbeaten record. He said that he will take advantage of it to prove to the world that he is the best fighter in the welterweight division. He bragged about giving Adrien Broner, who is a defensive fighter and a close ally of Mayweather, his first loss and he is planning to do the same strategy in the upcoming May 3 fight. Maidana said that he isn't intimidated by Mayweather's undefeated record. "I will bring some real Laino power to him on May 3rd," he said.
In December, Maidana defeated Broner and ended his 28-fight winning streak. All three judges favoured him and with his victory, Maidana snagged the World Boxing Association (WBA) welterweight title.
Broner wasn't happy at all with how the fight came out and immediately expressed his desire of wanting a rematch. Mayweather, too, uttered his frustration by mocking Maidana on Twitter.
Mayweather's decision to choose Maidana is comprehensible. He is out to avenge Broner's defeat.
Speaking to MLive.com, Mayweather revealed how close he is to Broner. He said that the two of them regularly talk and even play basketball. He said that he only wish the possible outcome for him.
"I cannot predict the future but hopefully he can break my numbers," said Mayweather.
"I only wish him nothing but the best."
"I've got nothing negative to say about him, he comes from the same type of background that I come from."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Rafael Nadal Will Miss 2014 US Open; Roger Federer Looking to Pounce on Rival
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members