‘Highway’ Box Office Collection: Alia Bhatt Starrer Maintains Steady Pace, Earns ₹21 Crore
By Ankita Mehta | February 25, 2014 11:20 PM EST
Positive word of mouth from critics has helped "Highway" to end its first Monday at the box office with decent collections.
The Imtiaz Ali directorial raked in around ₹2.4 crore from Indian markets on Monday, taking its overall total to ₹16.37 crore. "#Highway Fri 3.42 cr, Sat 4.80 cr, Sun 5.75 cr. Total: Rs 13.97 cr nett. India biz only," trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
The film, starring Alia Bhatt and Randeep Hooda, was released only in 800 screens initially but the screen count was slightly increased for weekdays. The film had witnessed only 30 percent drop in its business on Monday, compared to opening day, which is quite decent.
A steady first week is now expected for "Highway" with good figures from ticket windows in India.
Meanwhile, in overseas markets, the film has received mixed response from certain circuits. The opening weekend total of the Bollywood drama film is ₹5.58 crore ($ 900,000).
"Highway" fared well in USA-Canada, UK and UAE-GCC but the earnings from Australia and New Zealand were pretty low. "#Highway fares well in USA-Canada, UK, UAE-GCC, low in Aus & NZ," Adarsh tweeted.
US-Canada: From US circuits, the film raked in ₹1.78 crore ($286,495) from 81 screens, while from Canada it minted ₹24.22 lakh (US$ 39,027) from 12 screens.
UAE-GCC: In its opening weekend, the film raked in ₹1.49 crore (AED approx 881,500).
UK-Ireland: From this circuit, "Highway" grossed ₹1.10 crore (£ 106,581) from 49 screens.
Australia: The screen count and collections from this circuit was comparatively low. The opening weekend total is ₹22.51 lakh (A$ 40,391) from 13 screens.
New Zealand: This circuit has contributed the least collections. From six screens, the film minted ₹5.15 lakh (NZ$ 65,614) in the opening weekend.
With this, the worldwide score of the film stands at ₹21.95 crore, which is decent, keeping in mind the low promotions, less number of screens and low ticket rates.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet