‘Highway’ Box Office Collection: Alia Bhatt Starrer Maintains Steady Pace, Earns ₹21 Crore
By Ankita Mehta | February 25, 2014 11:20 PM EST
Positive word of mouth from critics has helped "Highway" to end its first Monday at the box office with decent collections.
The Imtiaz Ali directorial raked in around ₹2.4 crore from Indian markets on Monday, taking its overall total to ₹16.37 crore. "#Highway Fri 3.42 cr, Sat 4.80 cr, Sun 5.75 cr. Total: Rs 13.97 cr nett. India biz only," trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
The film, starring Alia Bhatt and Randeep Hooda, was released only in 800 screens initially but the screen count was slightly increased for weekdays. The film had witnessed only 30 percent drop in its business on Monday, compared to opening day, which is quite decent.
A steady first week is now expected for "Highway" with good figures from ticket windows in India.
Meanwhile, in overseas markets, the film has received mixed response from certain circuits. The opening weekend total of the Bollywood drama film is ₹5.58 crore ($ 900,000).
"Highway" fared well in USA-Canada, UK and UAE-GCC but the earnings from Australia and New Zealand were pretty low. "#Highway fares well in USA-Canada, UK, UAE-GCC, low in Aus & NZ," Adarsh tweeted.
US-Canada: From US circuits, the film raked in ₹1.78 crore ($286,495) from 81 screens, while from Canada it minted ₹24.22 lakh (US$ 39,027) from 12 screens.
UAE-GCC: In its opening weekend, the film raked in ₹1.49 crore (AED approx 881,500).
UK-Ireland: From this circuit, "Highway" grossed ₹1.10 crore (£ 106,581) from 49 screens.
Australia: The screen count and collections from this circuit was comparatively low. The opening weekend total is ₹22.51 lakh (A$ 40,391) from 13 screens.
New Zealand: This circuit has contributed the least collections. From six screens, the film minted ₹5.15 lakh (NZ$ 65,614) in the opening weekend.
With this, the worldwide score of the film stands at ₹21.95 crore, which is decent, keeping in mind the low promotions, less number of screens and low ticket rates.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown