Astronomers Record Biggest Ever Meteorite Impact on Moon [VIDEO]
By Parismita Goswami | February 25, 2014 10:59 PM EST
Astronomers at the University of Huelva, Spain have witnessed a record-breaking meteorite impact on the moon's surface.
Screenshot from University of Huelva (YouTube)
Scientists have recorded a flash, from a meteorite colliding with the lunar surface which was so bright that it could have been seen through the naked eyes.
The collision was observed on 11 September 2013 with the Midas (Moon Impacts Detection and Analysis System) in Spain.
Prior to this, the largest lunar explosion had occurred in March 2013, when a rock of 40 kgs hit the moon's surface at a speed of 90,000 km/hour.
However, the meteorite that hit the moon's surface in September weighed about 400 kgs, and travelled at a speed of 61,000 kilometers per hour.
The 400kg meteorite was so fast that the earth turned molten and vaporized, thus creating a flash and a 40 m wide crater on the surface of the moon.
The flash was visible to the naked eye for anyone whow was staring at the moon at clear viewing conditions. Soon after the impact, an afterglow was seen that lasted another eight seconds, which turned out as the brightest and longest incident ever recorded.
"This is the largest, brightest impact we have ever observed on the Moon. Usually lunar impacts have a very short duration - just a fraction of a second. It was almost as bright as the Pole Star, which makes it the brightest impact event that we have recorded from Earth," Astronomer Jose Madiedo, who leads the Midas project at the University of Huelva told BBC News.
Unlike the Earth, the lunar surface is susceptible to meteoroid attack as the moon's surface lacks the protective atmospheric layer.
The Midas telescopes have the ability to spot impacts on the lunar surface because of the tiny flashes of light that are produced following the collisions. The moon's surface experiences rocky collisions almost every three hours. However, many of them are insignificant.
Check here for the video
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones