Astronomers Record Biggest Ever Meteorite Impact on Moon [VIDEO]
By Parismita Goswami | February 25, 2014 10:59 PM EST
Astronomers at the University of Huelva, Spain have witnessed a record-breaking meteorite impact on the moon's surface.
Screenshot from University of Huelva (YouTube)
Scientists have recorded a flash, from a meteorite colliding with the lunar surface which was so bright that it could have been seen through the naked eyes.
The collision was observed on 11 September 2013 with the Midas (Moon Impacts Detection and Analysis System) in Spain.
Prior to this, the largest lunar explosion had occurred in March 2013, when a rock of 40 kgs hit the moon's surface at a speed of 90,000 km/hour.
However, the meteorite that hit the moon's surface in September weighed about 400 kgs, and travelled at a speed of 61,000 kilometers per hour.
The 400kg meteorite was so fast that the earth turned molten and vaporized, thus creating a flash and a 40 m wide crater on the surface of the moon.
The flash was visible to the naked eye for anyone whow was staring at the moon at clear viewing conditions. Soon after the impact, an afterglow was seen that lasted another eight seconds, which turned out as the brightest and longest incident ever recorded.
"This is the largest, brightest impact we have ever observed on the Moon. Usually lunar impacts have a very short duration - just a fraction of a second. It was almost as bright as the Pole Star, which makes it the brightest impact event that we have recorded from Earth," Astronomer Jose Madiedo, who leads the Midas project at the University of Huelva told BBC News.
Unlike the Earth, the lunar surface is susceptible to meteoroid attack as the moon's surface lacks the protective atmospheric layer.
The Midas telescopes have the ability to spot impacts on the lunar surface because of the tiny flashes of light that are produced following the collisions. The moon's surface experiences rocky collisions almost every three hours. However, many of them are insignificant.
Check here for the video
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Industrial Air Pollution May Help Search for Alien Life - Scientists
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar