Justin Bieber Moving to Atlanta: Hoax Catches Major News Outlets Unaware
By Johnlee Varghese | February 25, 2014 10:37 PM EST
Several major news outlets - including CNN, The Guardian and Time - were trolled into believing a fake story, which was in fact a radio prank that claimed Justin Bieber was planning to move to Atlanta and residents there have been protesting.
The CNN story that had TMZ as source stated: "Harold White jumped into action when he heard a rumor that Justin Bieber might be eyeing a mansion in Atlanta and could become his neighbor in the affluent Buckhead neighborhood."
But soon, when it become apparent that it was a hoax, CNN carried another report: "It had all the elements of an irresistible story, but ultimately it was too good to be true."
Several national and entertainment news outlets took up the story, and some of Bieber's 'potential neighbors' - who were also part of the prank -preempted the move with a planned protest, further fuelling the rumor.
However, it has now come out that it was ROCK 100.5's The Regular Guys who were behind this elaborate prank.
The Guardian, which ran the story, reported: "Residents of an Atlanta district have made plans to protest against Justin Bieber's reported move to the neighborhood. The singer's rumored relocation to Buckhead, which is a wealthy district and a fifteen minute drive from downtown Atlanta, have organised a Facebook group entitled 'Protest Justin Bieber Moving to Buckhead' that encourages residents to make a stand at 6 am EST on Tuesday."
A Facebook page representing the fake Buckhead Neighborhood Coalition was also set up as part of the prank. The description read: "Justin Bieber's relocation to Atlanta can be nothing, but bad for our children, as well as for the community. Some can't even let their children play in the driveway without fear; he has raced vehicles under the influence, before. What's to say he won't do it again?"
Even Time ran a story stating: "...in the upscale Atlanta neighborhood of Buckhead, residents have come together to protest a very different kind of nuisance that could soon be making its way to their area. That potential nuisance is named Justin Bieber."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 24-26, 2014: The Forresters, Logans And Spencers Will Celebrate Thanksgiving Day At The Forrester Mansion
- 'Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Spoilers: Promo Video And Synopsis For Episode 9 Titled ‘I Alone’ Tease Continuation Of Mission To Bring Bonnie Back [WATCH]
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced