Justin Bieber Moving to Atlanta: Hoax Catches Major News Outlets Unaware
By Johnlee Varghese | February 25, 2014 10:37 PM EST
Several major news outlets - including CNN, The Guardian and Time - were trolled into believing a fake story, which was in fact a radio prank that claimed Justin Bieber was planning to move to Atlanta and residents there have been protesting.
The CNN story that had TMZ as source stated: "Harold White jumped into action when he heard a rumor that Justin Bieber might be eyeing a mansion in Atlanta and could become his neighbor in the affluent Buckhead neighborhood."
But soon, when it become apparent that it was a hoax, CNN carried another report: "It had all the elements of an irresistible story, but ultimately it was too good to be true."
Several national and entertainment news outlets took up the story, and some of Bieber's 'potential neighbors' - who were also part of the prank -preempted the move with a planned protest, further fuelling the rumor.
However, it has now come out that it was ROCK 100.5's The Regular Guys who were behind this elaborate prank.
The Guardian, which ran the story, reported: "Residents of an Atlanta district have made plans to protest against Justin Bieber's reported move to the neighborhood. The singer's rumored relocation to Buckhead, which is a wealthy district and a fifteen minute drive from downtown Atlanta, have organised a Facebook group entitled 'Protest Justin Bieber Moving to Buckhead' that encourages residents to make a stand at 6 am EST on Tuesday."
A Facebook page representing the fake Buckhead Neighborhood Coalition was also set up as part of the prank. The description read: "Justin Bieber's relocation to Atlanta can be nothing, but bad for our children, as well as for the community. Some can't even let their children play in the driveway without fear; he has raced vehicles under the influence, before. What's to say he won't do it again?"
Even Time ran a story stating: "...in the upscale Atlanta neighborhood of Buckhead, residents have come together to protest a very different kind of nuisance that could soon be making its way to their area. That potential nuisance is named Justin Bieber."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Episode 11 On Hold, Return Date, Title And Synopsis Of New Episode
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies’ New Images Of Bard And Smaug In Battle
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 'Arrow' Season 3 Updates: Oliver Queen And Team Go To Barry Allen's Central City (Spoilers)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Ramsay Bolton
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More