Justin Bieber Moving to Atlanta: Hoax Catches Major News Outlets Unaware
By Johnlee Varghese | February 25, 2014 10:37 PM EST
Several major news outlets - including CNN, The Guardian and Time - were trolled into believing a fake story, which was in fact a radio prank that claimed Justin Bieber was planning to move to Atlanta and residents there have been protesting.
The CNN story that had TMZ as source stated: "Harold White jumped into action when he heard a rumor that Justin Bieber might be eyeing a mansion in Atlanta and could become his neighbor in the affluent Buckhead neighborhood."
But soon, when it become apparent that it was a hoax, CNN carried another report: "It had all the elements of an irresistible story, but ultimately it was too good to be true."
Several national and entertainment news outlets took up the story, and some of Bieber's 'potential neighbors' - who were also part of the prank -preempted the move with a planned protest, further fuelling the rumor.
However, it has now come out that it was ROCK 100.5's The Regular Guys who were behind this elaborate prank.
The Guardian, which ran the story, reported: "Residents of an Atlanta district have made plans to protest against Justin Bieber's reported move to the neighborhood. The singer's rumored relocation to Buckhead, which is a wealthy district and a fifteen minute drive from downtown Atlanta, have organised a Facebook group entitled 'Protest Justin Bieber Moving to Buckhead' that encourages residents to make a stand at 6 am EST on Tuesday."
A Facebook page representing the fake Buckhead Neighborhood Coalition was also set up as part of the prank. The description read: "Justin Bieber's relocation to Atlanta can be nothing, but bad for our children, as well as for the community. Some can't even let their children play in the driveway without fear; he has raced vehicles under the influence, before. What's to say he won't do it again?"
Even Time ran a story stating: "...in the upscale Atlanta neighborhood of Buckhead, residents have come together to protest a very different kind of nuisance that could soon be making its way to their area. That potential nuisance is named Justin Bieber."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS