Twitch Users’ New Muse: Twitch Plays Zelda Becomes Multiplayer Co-op Game
By Aditya Bhat | February 25, 2014 9:21 PM EST
After the immense success of Twitch Plays Pokemon following live-steaming and controlling the game via commands in comment section, a Twitch user transformed The Legend of Zelda into a multiplayer online co-op version titled Twitch Plays Zelda.
Twitch Plays Zelda was programmed by a Twitch user.
Zach Gerlock, a Twitch user was able to programme an emulator for The Legend of Zelda where other people who are logged in can control the game by entering commands in the comment section of the live video streaming website, Twitch.
Gerlock was also accused of 'stealing' from Twitch Plays Pokemon. He responded by to this by saying: "The point of this stream was as a personal challenge, as well as an evolution of the Twitch Plays concept,"
"My goal was to find a game that the concept does not naturally work for, but might still be possible to complete. I knew this would require some outside intervention, at least in the form of cheats, but finding solutions to these problems is part of the fun," he said.
Twitch Plays Pokemon, became a phenomenal success garnering nearly 6.5 million total views and the number keeps growing. The channel features the original Pokemon Red for Game Boy. This has given rise to imitations like Twitch Plays Pokemon: Crystal Version and Twitch Plays Pokemon Plays Tetris. The live streaming was also brought to the notice of Guinness World Records as it had around 70,000 - 80,000 people playing the game simultaneously.
The Legend of Zelda is a Japanese action - adventure video game, which was released initially on 21 February 1986 and the latest release was The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on 22 November, 2013.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar