Maidana’s Strategy of Beating Mayweather
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 25, 2014 9:03 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather has a new opponent and it is Marcos Maidana. The two fighter are slated to fight on May 3 at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas or the Barclays Centre in New York. People have been waiting for some time for Mayweather to announce his next opponent and he had chosen to reveal it just in time for his 37th birthday. The duo will be battling for the World Boxing Council (WBC) and The Ring Welterweight titles.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto
Amir Khan Angry Outbursts But No Done Deal Yet; Mayweather Might Announce Next Opponent on Birthday, Says Schaefer
Can Timothy Bradley Walk Away with a Convincing Victory? Manny Pacquiao Eyeing for Knockout in the Rematch
"I will be fighting Marcos Maidana May 3rd on Pay-per-view Showtime/CBS," Mayweather tweeted.
According to Maidana's trainer Robert Garcia, his student will give Mayweather problems.
"We're going to prepare Maidana to go in there with no respect and no fear," Garcia told Fight Hype. "He knows and we know that the fight is going to be very difficult," he added. Garcia said that Maidana will hit give the undefeated boxer his first-ever knockout.
"Maidana has a one-punch knockout so if he lands a punch and hurts him, believe me, he's going to go in for the kill."
"There is those styles that have been effective against fighters like Floyd, fighters that fight very defensive, but very smart and very fast, it's worked before," said Garcia.
Garcia said that they will be training hard and do what they did when Maidana fought Broner. "Mayweather has all the advantages, yes but when you have a fighter who goes in there with no respect and bullies the fighter and puts his whole body on him to frustrate him, all that makes a difference."
Both Mayweather and Maidan fought in 2013. The 37-year-old American boxer last fought Saul "Canelo" Alvarez where he won via unanimous decision in September. Maidana, on the other hand, fought Adrien Broner in December where he also won. Mayweather has a 45-0 record while Maidana has 35-3 record.
Do you think Maidana has the style to beat Mayweather? Is he a threat to Mayweather?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers