Maidana’s Strategy of Beating Mayweather
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 25, 2014 9:03 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather has a new opponent and it is Marcos Maidana. The two fighter are slated to fight on May 3 at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas or the Barclays Centre in New York. People have been waiting for some time for Mayweather to announce his next opponent and he had chosen to reveal it just in time for his 37th birthday. The duo will be battling for the World Boxing Council (WBC) and The Ring Welterweight titles.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto
Amir Khan Angry Outbursts But No Done Deal Yet; Mayweather Might Announce Next Opponent on Birthday, Says Schaefer
Can Timothy Bradley Walk Away with a Convincing Victory? Manny Pacquiao Eyeing for Knockout in the Rematch
"I will be fighting Marcos Maidana May 3rd on Pay-per-view Showtime/CBS," Mayweather tweeted.
According to Maidana's trainer Robert Garcia, his student will give Mayweather problems.
"We're going to prepare Maidana to go in there with no respect and no fear," Garcia told Fight Hype. "He knows and we know that the fight is going to be very difficult," he added. Garcia said that Maidana will hit give the undefeated boxer his first-ever knockout.
"Maidana has a one-punch knockout so if he lands a punch and hurts him, believe me, he's going to go in for the kill."
"There is those styles that have been effective against fighters like Floyd, fighters that fight very defensive, but very smart and very fast, it's worked before," said Garcia.
Garcia said that they will be training hard and do what they did when Maidana fought Broner. "Mayweather has all the advantages, yes but when you have a fighter who goes in there with no respect and bullies the fighter and puts his whole body on him to frustrate him, all that makes a difference."
Both Mayweather and Maidan fought in 2013. The 37-year-old American boxer last fought Saul "Canelo" Alvarez where he won via unanimous decision in September. Maidana, on the other hand, fought Adrien Broner in December where he also won. Mayweather has a 45-0 record while Maidana has 35-3 record.
Do you think Maidana has the style to beat Mayweather? Is he a threat to Mayweather?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]