Maidana’s Strategy of Beating Mayweather
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 25, 2014 9:03 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather has a new opponent and it is Marcos Maidana. The two fighter are slated to fight on May 3 at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas or the Barclays Centre in New York. People have been waiting for some time for Mayweather to announce his next opponent and he had chosen to reveal it just in time for his 37th birthday. The duo will be battling for the World Boxing Council (WBC) and The Ring Welterweight titles.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto
Amir Khan Angry Outbursts But No Done Deal Yet; Mayweather Might Announce Next Opponent on Birthday, Says Schaefer
Can Timothy Bradley Walk Away with a Convincing Victory? Manny Pacquiao Eyeing for Knockout in the Rematch
"I will be fighting Marcos Maidana May 3rd on Pay-per-view Showtime/CBS," Mayweather tweeted.
According to Maidana's trainer Robert Garcia, his student will give Mayweather problems.
"We're going to prepare Maidana to go in there with no respect and no fear," Garcia told Fight Hype. "He knows and we know that the fight is going to be very difficult," he added. Garcia said that Maidana will hit give the undefeated boxer his first-ever knockout.
"Maidana has a one-punch knockout so if he lands a punch and hurts him, believe me, he's going to go in for the kill."
"There is those styles that have been effective against fighters like Floyd, fighters that fight very defensive, but very smart and very fast, it's worked before," said Garcia.
Garcia said that they will be training hard and do what they did when Maidana fought Broner. "Mayweather has all the advantages, yes but when you have a fighter who goes in there with no respect and bullies the fighter and puts his whole body on him to frustrate him, all that makes a difference."
Both Mayweather and Maidan fought in 2013. The 37-year-old American boxer last fought Saul "Canelo" Alvarez where he won via unanimous decision in September. Maidana, on the other hand, fought Adrien Broner in December where he also won. Mayweather has a 45-0 record while Maidana has 35-3 record.
Do you think Maidana has the style to beat Mayweather? Is he a threat to Mayweather?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate