Maidana’s Strategy of Beating Mayweather
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 25, 2014 9:03 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather has a new opponent and it is Marcos Maidana. The two fighter are slated to fight on May 3 at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas or the Barclays Centre in New York. People have been waiting for some time for Mayweather to announce his next opponent and he had chosen to reveal it just in time for his 37th birthday. The duo will be battling for the World Boxing Council (WBC) and The Ring Welterweight titles.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto
Amir Khan Angry Outbursts But No Done Deal Yet; Mayweather Might Announce Next Opponent on Birthday, Says Schaefer
Can Timothy Bradley Walk Away with a Convincing Victory? Manny Pacquiao Eyeing for Knockout in the Rematch
"I will be fighting Marcos Maidana May 3rd on Pay-per-view Showtime/CBS," Mayweather tweeted.
According to Maidana's trainer Robert Garcia, his student will give Mayweather problems.
"We're going to prepare Maidana to go in there with no respect and no fear," Garcia told Fight Hype. "He knows and we know that the fight is going to be very difficult," he added. Garcia said that Maidana will hit give the undefeated boxer his first-ever knockout.
"Maidana has a one-punch knockout so if he lands a punch and hurts him, believe me, he's going to go in for the kill."
"There is those styles that have been effective against fighters like Floyd, fighters that fight very defensive, but very smart and very fast, it's worked before," said Garcia.
Garcia said that they will be training hard and do what they did when Maidana fought Broner. "Mayweather has all the advantages, yes but when you have a fighter who goes in there with no respect and bullies the fighter and puts his whole body on him to frustrate him, all that makes a difference."
Both Mayweather and Maidan fought in 2013. The 37-year-old American boxer last fought Saul "Canelo" Alvarez where he won via unanimous decision in September. Maidana, on the other hand, fought Adrien Broner in December where he also won. Mayweather has a 45-0 record while Maidana has 35-3 record.
Do you think Maidana has the style to beat Mayweather? Is he a threat to Mayweather?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change