Roger Federer: ‘I am Still Playing and my goal is to Add More Titles to my Count’
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 25, 2014 9:01 PM EST
There is no reason why former top-ranked tennis athlete Roger Federer should give up his passion of playing the sport he loves. He shouldn't retire even though some people tell him to walk away from tennis. Federer is not going to retire just yet. The Swiss athlete is hopeful that he can win more tournaments to add in his legendary professional tennis career. The disappointing 2013 season is all part of the past and Federer is out to prove that he is still in good shape to further prolong his magnificent career record of 17 Grand Slam titles.
Roger Federer of Switzerland serves to Benjamin Becker of Germany during their men's singles match at the ATP Dubai Tennis Championships, February 24, 2014. REUTERS/Saleh Salem
The 32-year-old athlete started off his 2014 season very good. He reached the semifinals of the 2014 Australian and eventually losing to Rafael Nadal. Currently, he competing at the Dubai Duty Free Championships. During the press briefing that was carried out on Feb. 23, a day before the tournament begins, Federer revealed his desire to win more titles.
Federer won five times in the said tournament. He is the fourth seed and he seems ready to deliver the best performance as he always does to try to get a shot at winning his sixth crown at the Dubai Duty Free Championships, according to ESPN.
"I am still playing and my goal is to add more titles to my count," said Federer during the press briefing held a day before the tournament starts.
"Not just Grand Slam titles, I love any tennis tournament I play in and Dubai is an important tournament for me," he added.
Federer said that he is in in perfect condition and his goal is to remain in top shape that he is in so he can get to the semifinals and then the finals. The tennis athlete who current ranked 8th in the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) rankings revealed that this is the healthiest condition that he has ever been.
"I feel as if I'm in as good shape as I have been for a year, so that's very encouraging."
"I feel my best tennis is just around the corner."
Federer competed on his first match in Dubai on Feb. 24 over Benjamin Decker where he won in two straight sets, 6-1 6-4. He was reportedly happy with the way the match went out.
Australian tennis legend Rod Laver once said that Federer is the greatest player of all time even though he has dropped in the world rankings.
"When I look at Federer, with what he's accomplished, against the competition that he's accomplished it with, I'd have to say I would think that Roger is the greatest player," said Laver.
Federer's tennis skill is a form of art. He has accomplished the rare feat of winning all four Grand Slam tournaments that no athlete has ever won before. He may be one of the oldest players on tour right now but he is still playing well. His faith in himself will be his ticket to winning more titles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Manchester United Defender Phil Jones Fit To Play Versus Everton
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build