Susie Wolff to Become First Woman in 22 Years to Drive in F1 Race Weekend
By Shruthi SU | February 25, 2014 6:58 PM EST
Come Friday, history will be made as Susie Wolff becomes the first woman to drive in a Formula One race weekend since 1992. Williams announced that the Scot will make her practice appearances twice this year - likely at the British and German Grand Prix.
"I'm grateful for the support and belief Williams continue to show in me and 2014 promises to be a very important milestone in my career," the 31-year-old said in a statement. "My responsibilities within the team have steadily increased as I have proved myself, culminating in the opportunity to test the car at Silverstone and conduct straight line aero tests last season.
"Competing in two FP1 [first free practice] sessions, alongside an additional full test day this season will be a big step and I am looking forward to the opportunity to get behind the wheel of the FW36 on a grand prix weekend."
In 1992, Italian Giovanna Amati, had tried to qualify with Brabham but could only be a part of the grand prix weekend. Wolff is also unlikely to make it to the actual racing. Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas are Williams' racer drivers this season, while Felipe Nasr waits in the reserve.
Wolff is the wife of Mercedes motorsport head Toto Wolff; a former Williams executive director. She joined Williams in April 2012 and is currently working to help the team develop FW36.
Williams' chief technical officer Pat Symonds was all praises for Susie's growing role in the team.
"Susie has become a valued member of our driver line up and 2014 will see her take on more responsibilities as we seek to make a strong step forward in performance," Symonds said.
"Susie has demonstrated a natural talent for developing a car and providing strong feedback and these sort of characteristics will be key this season as teams seek to quickly understand and refine the radically overhauled 2014 cars.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet