Susie Wolff to Become First Woman in 22 Years to Drive in F1 Race Weekend
By Shruthi SU | February 25, 2014 6:58 PM EST
Come Friday, history will be made as Susie Wolff becomes the first woman to drive in a Formula One race weekend since 1992. Williams announced that the Scot will make her practice appearances twice this year - likely at the British and German Grand Prix.
"I'm grateful for the support and belief Williams continue to show in me and 2014 promises to be a very important milestone in my career," the 31-year-old said in a statement. "My responsibilities within the team have steadily increased as I have proved myself, culminating in the opportunity to test the car at Silverstone and conduct straight line aero tests last season.
"Competing in two FP1 [first free practice] sessions, alongside an additional full test day this season will be a big step and I am looking forward to the opportunity to get behind the wheel of the FW36 on a grand prix weekend."
In 1992, Italian Giovanna Amati, had tried to qualify with Brabham but could only be a part of the grand prix weekend. Wolff is also unlikely to make it to the actual racing. Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas are Williams' racer drivers this season, while Felipe Nasr waits in the reserve.
Wolff is the wife of Mercedes motorsport head Toto Wolff; a former Williams executive director. She joined Williams in April 2012 and is currently working to help the team develop FW36.
Williams' chief technical officer Pat Symonds was all praises for Susie's growing role in the team.
"Susie has become a valued member of our driver line up and 2014 will see her take on more responsibilities as we seek to make a strong step forward in performance," Symonds said.
"Susie has demonstrated a natural talent for developing a car and providing strong feedback and these sort of characteristics will be key this season as teams seek to quickly understand and refine the radically overhauled 2014 cars.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June