Susie Wolff to Become First Woman in 22 Years to Drive in F1 Race Weekend
By Shruthi SU | February 25, 2014 6:58 PM EST
Come Friday, history will be made as Susie Wolff becomes the first woman to drive in a Formula One race weekend since 1992. Williams announced that the Scot will make her practice appearances twice this year - likely at the British and German Grand Prix.
"I'm grateful for the support and belief Williams continue to show in me and 2014 promises to be a very important milestone in my career," the 31-year-old said in a statement. "My responsibilities within the team have steadily increased as I have proved myself, culminating in the opportunity to test the car at Silverstone and conduct straight line aero tests last season.
"Competing in two FP1 [first free practice] sessions, alongside an additional full test day this season will be a big step and I am looking forward to the opportunity to get behind the wheel of the FW36 on a grand prix weekend."
In 1992, Italian Giovanna Amati, had tried to qualify with Brabham but could only be a part of the grand prix weekend. Wolff is also unlikely to make it to the actual racing. Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas are Williams' racer drivers this season, while Felipe Nasr waits in the reserve.
Wolff is the wife of Mercedes motorsport head Toto Wolff; a former Williams executive director. She joined Williams in April 2012 and is currently working to help the team develop FW36.
Williams' chief technical officer Pat Symonds was all praises for Susie's growing role in the team.
"Susie has become a valued member of our driver line up and 2014 will see her take on more responsibilities as we seek to make a strong step forward in performance," Symonds said.
"Susie has demonstrated a natural talent for developing a car and providing strong feedback and these sort of characteristics will be key this season as teams seek to quickly understand and refine the radically overhauled 2014 cars.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage