Susie Wolff to Become First Woman in 22 Years to Drive in F1 Race Weekend
By Shruthi SU | February 25, 2014 6:58 PM EST
Come Friday, history will be made as Susie Wolff becomes the first woman to drive in a Formula One race weekend since 1992. Williams announced that the Scot will make her practice appearances twice this year - likely at the British and German Grand Prix.
"I'm grateful for the support and belief Williams continue to show in me and 2014 promises to be a very important milestone in my career," the 31-year-old said in a statement. "My responsibilities within the team have steadily increased as I have proved myself, culminating in the opportunity to test the car at Silverstone and conduct straight line aero tests last season.
"Competing in two FP1 [first free practice] sessions, alongside an additional full test day this season will be a big step and I am looking forward to the opportunity to get behind the wheel of the FW36 on a grand prix weekend."
In 1992, Italian Giovanna Amati, had tried to qualify with Brabham but could only be a part of the grand prix weekend. Wolff is also unlikely to make it to the actual racing. Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas are Williams' racer drivers this season, while Felipe Nasr waits in the reserve.
Wolff is the wife of Mercedes motorsport head Toto Wolff; a former Williams executive director. She joined Williams in April 2012 and is currently working to help the team develop FW36.
Williams' chief technical officer Pat Symonds was all praises for Susie's growing role in the team.
"Susie has become a valued member of our driver line up and 2014 will see her take on more responsibilities as we seek to make a strong step forward in performance," Symonds said.
"Susie has demonstrated a natural talent for developing a car and providing strong feedback and these sort of characteristics will be key this season as teams seek to quickly understand and refine the radically overhauled 2014 cars.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2