Scientists Discover Gem, Say it’s 'Oldest Piece of Earth Ever Found'
By Parismita Goswami | February 25, 2014 6:12 PM EST
Scientists have found a small piece of zircon crystal on a sheep ranch in Western Australia that dates back to 4.4 billion years. The crystal is the oldest known piece ever found, according to them.
University of Wisconsin-Madiso
Scientists Discover Gem, They Say It’s the “Oldest Piece of Earth Ever Found”
Zircons are part of the Earth's crust, which is found in igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks.
The study was conducted using a technique called atom-probe tomography, which in conjunction with secondary ion mass spectrometry, allowed scientists to accurately begin the age and thermal history of the zircon by determining mass of individual atoms of lead in the sample.
"It's always blown my mind. I mean, to collect samples that were on a beach 3 billion years ago- and to find crystals that were more than a billion years older than the beach- is just really surprising and wonderful", according to John Valley, a geochemist at the University of Wisconsin, Madison.
Confirmation of the zircon age holds huge implications for models of elderly Earth. The trace elements in the oldest zircons from Australia's Jack Hills range suggest that they came from granite-like rocks such as tonalite or granodiorite. This implies that the Earth cooled much quickly for surface water and rocks just 100 million years after the moon impact, the huge collision that formed the Earth-moon system
"This confirms our view of how the Earth cooled and became habitable. This may also help us understand how other habitable planets would form. The study reinforces our conclusion that Earth had a hydrosphere before 4.3 billion years ago and possibly life not long after," Economic Times quoted Valley.
The details of the findings have been published in the Nature Geoscience Journal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientists Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 'Human Skull' Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting: UFO Spotted Above Las Vegas, Nevada
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Alien Toy Doll Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu