Scientists Discover Gem, Say it’s 'Oldest Piece of Earth Ever Found'
By Parismita Goswami | February 25, 2014 6:12 PM EST
Scientists have found a small piece of zircon crystal on a sheep ranch in Western Australia that dates back to 4.4 billion years. The crystal is the oldest known piece ever found, according to them.
University of Wisconsin-Madiso
Scientists Discover Gem, They Say It’s the “Oldest Piece of Earth Ever Found”
Zircons are part of the Earth's crust, which is found in igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks.
The study was conducted using a technique called atom-probe tomography, which in conjunction with secondary ion mass spectrometry, allowed scientists to accurately begin the age and thermal history of the zircon by determining mass of individual atoms of lead in the sample.
"It's always blown my mind. I mean, to collect samples that were on a beach 3 billion years ago- and to find crystals that were more than a billion years older than the beach- is just really surprising and wonderful", according to John Valley, a geochemist at the University of Wisconsin, Madison.
Confirmation of the zircon age holds huge implications for models of elderly Earth. The trace elements in the oldest zircons from Australia's Jack Hills range suggest that they came from granite-like rocks such as tonalite or granodiorite. This implies that the Earth cooled much quickly for surface water and rocks just 100 million years after the moon impact, the huge collision that formed the Earth-moon system
"This confirms our view of how the Earth cooled and became habitable. This may also help us understand how other habitable planets would form. The study reinforces our conclusion that Earth had a hydrosphere before 4.3 billion years ago and possibly life not long after," Economic Times quoted Valley.
The details of the findings have been published in the Nature Geoscience Journal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How