Boxing News: Floyd Mayweather Overlooks Amir Khan for Marcos Maidana
By Deepak Vikraman | February 25, 2014 4:41 PM EST
Birthday boy Floyd Mayweather confirmed his next opponent on Monday, and it is not England boxer Amir Khan.
The American pound-for-pound king, on his 37th birthday, announced his next fight, on May 3, would be against Marcos Maidana, with the WBA Welterweight champion's win over Adrian Broner in December pushing Mayweather towards choosing the Argentine.
"Marcos Maidana's last performance immediately brought him to my attention," Mayweather said. "He is an extremely skilled fighter who brings knockout danger to the ring.
"I think this is a great fight for me and he deserves the opportunity to see if he can do what 45 others have tried to do before him -- beat me."
"I am extremely happy to be facing Floyd Mayweather because it will give me the opportunity to show the world that I am the best welterweight in the division," said Maidana
"I just handed a great defensive fighter his first loss and I plan to do the same to Mayweather. I don't care whether he's the best and undefeated. I will bring some real Latino power to him on May 3rd."
Adviser Leonard Ellerbe believes Mayweather, who beat Canelo Alvarez in September, will have to be at his best to stop Maidana. "We're ready to go," Ellerbe said. "Maidana's a terrific fighter, a devastating knockout puncher. It's a very dangerous fight. He's a guy that people have overlooked in the past. Floyd has got to be at his best.
"Maidana's never in a bad fight. We know that from the opening bell, he'll try to knock Floyd's head off. He's nonstop, relentless, can punch with either hand. He won't let Floyd breathe."
Khan was thought to be the favourite to go toe-to-toe with Mayweather, but the Englishman, who beat Maidana in 2010, last week revealed the American had overlooked him for the Argentine.
"No response from Mayweather or his team," Khan wrote on Twitter last week. "Fight's not happening. I should have taken the title fight last December against [Devon] Alexander.
"Very disrespected by his team. Wasted my time. Good luck to Maidana, against Mayweather.
"Can I apologise to the thousands of people who are let down. You me and everyone wanted the Mayweather fight. He's running scared."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]