Boxing News: Floyd Mayweather Overlooks Amir Khan for Marcos Maidana
By Deepak Vikraman | February 25, 2014 4:41 PM EST
Birthday boy Floyd Mayweather confirmed his next opponent on Monday, and it is not England boxer Amir Khan.
The American pound-for-pound king, on his 37th birthday, announced his next fight, on May 3, would be against Marcos Maidana, with the WBA Welterweight champion's win over Adrian Broner in December pushing Mayweather towards choosing the Argentine.
"Marcos Maidana's last performance immediately brought him to my attention," Mayweather said. "He is an extremely skilled fighter who brings knockout danger to the ring.
"I think this is a great fight for me and he deserves the opportunity to see if he can do what 45 others have tried to do before him -- beat me."
"I am extremely happy to be facing Floyd Mayweather because it will give me the opportunity to show the world that I am the best welterweight in the division," said Maidana
"I just handed a great defensive fighter his first loss and I plan to do the same to Mayweather. I don't care whether he's the best and undefeated. I will bring some real Latino power to him on May 3rd."
Adviser Leonard Ellerbe believes Mayweather, who beat Canelo Alvarez in September, will have to be at his best to stop Maidana. "We're ready to go," Ellerbe said. "Maidana's a terrific fighter, a devastating knockout puncher. It's a very dangerous fight. He's a guy that people have overlooked in the past. Floyd has got to be at his best.
"Maidana's never in a bad fight. We know that from the opening bell, he'll try to knock Floyd's head off. He's nonstop, relentless, can punch with either hand. He won't let Floyd breathe."
Khan was thought to be the favourite to go toe-to-toe with Mayweather, but the Englishman, who beat Maidana in 2010, last week revealed the American had overlooked him for the Argentine.
"No response from Mayweather or his team," Khan wrote on Twitter last week. "Fight's not happening. I should have taken the title fight last December against [Devon] Alexander.
"Very disrespected by his team. Wasted my time. Good luck to Maidana, against Mayweather.
"Can I apologise to the thousands of people who are let down. You me and everyone wanted the Mayweather fight. He's running scared."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date