Android v4.4.2 KitKat OS Update Now Seeding to Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) in India
By Rohit KVN | February 25, 2014 4:21 PM EST
Sunder Pichai /Twitter
KitKat Statue unveiled at Google's Mountain View Campus
Galaxy S4 owners have begun getting the notification for the new Android KitKat v4.4.2 firmware update. It is 355.59 MB in size and is being seeded via OTA (Over-The-Air) to Galaxy S4. Some members of the popular tech forum, XDA Developers have posted screen shots of their smartphones' software 'update details' to confirm the reports. (To view the snapshots, Click here).
To check for updates on the smartphone
Go to Settings >> More >> About >> Software Update >> download
Like all previous updates, the smartphone is said to get better in performance and battery efficiency as well as in security. Beside these regular enhancements, KitKat OS will bring new default messaging app option Hangouts (where all SMS, Audio, video chats can now be grouped under one roof), new visually enhanced white notifications status bar, Camera shortcut icon now can be relocated to the lock for easy access, wireless printing (in select HP printers), Japanese Emoji characters for enriching the texting and many more.
Description of Key features of Android v4.4 KitKat OS update includes:
Improved Caller-ID: If a user receives a call from unknown number, the phone will look for matches on the net with local listings via Google Maps.
Priority Contacts: The new OS empowers the phone to automatically prioritize contact list for easy access, based on the frequency of the peoples' contacts to which users talk.
Immersive display: To enhance the entertainment factor, the new OS comes with immersive mode, where the status bar and navigation buttons disappear in to the back ground while you play music, games and read e-books. Users can just swipe the edge of the screen to bring back the utility buttons.
Enhanced Message grouping: Google has brought in some improvements to the new Hangouts app; now, users can find all their text SMSs and MMSs, audio and video call details all at one place. He/She can also share location and send animated GIFs.
Emoji Characters: Initially users had to install third party app to use colorful characters in their SMS. Now, with KitKat update, the keypad comes pre-loaded with native Japanese Emoji emotion icons.
NFC and Wireless Printing: Google's new OS comes with a new Quickoffice app where-in people can create and store word documents in cloud storage as well as print files wirelessly on NFC-enabled HP printers.
Multi-tasking: With efficient memory management, users can multi-task by opening multiple applications; Listen to music while you can browse through the net.
Performance: Like all software updates, the new KitKat enhances smartphone's performance as well as efficient RAM management, leading to an increase in battery life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to Feature Retina Scanner Challenging iPad Retina and iPhone 6
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015