Horse Racing News: Geegees Blackflash Aims for 2014 Launceston Cup
By James Patrick Quizon | February 25, 2014 4:01 PM EST
Geegees Blackfash will not only target the Launceston Cup Wednesday but also a place in history as the John Luttrel-trained horse also aims to get past the $1 million career earnings, a first for any horse who has solely competed in Tasmania.
Geegees Blackflash, who is a gelding born in 2006 by Clangalang out of La Quita, has a race record of 17 wins in 52 starts and a total prize money of $916,900. This includes the win in the 2013 Launceston Cup when the then six-year old finished strong outworking Lucky Angel and Dream Pedlar by two lengths.
The Launceston Cup 2014 is the final of three group races in Tasmania’s Summer Racing Carnival. It is a Group 4 status race and ran over a 2,400 meter distance.
Lutrell is confident of a repeat from 2013 and fourth overall Launceston Cup.
“I know the horse has definitely improved (since the Hobart Cup), he's in great order. And I definitely think he's a three to four length better horse at Launceston on the track up there." Luttrel told Yahoo Sports New Zealand.
Geegees Blackflash is part of the 13-runners field that’ll start on Wednesday and his greatest rival will be Epingle, who won the recent Hobart Cup and gunning for back-to-back titles in Tasmania.
"I've had him since he was a baby and if he could do something like that on Wednesday - get to a million dollars - it would be beautiful," added Luttrell.
Epingle is the favourite among the horse racing books at 2.00 while Geegees Blackflash is at 3.80. Other top contenders are Surpass (8.00), Gee Gee's La Quita (11.00) and Gold To Go (14.00).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS