Sony Xperia Z2 vs. Galaxy S5 vs. iPhone 5S: Top 20 Reasons to Choose New Xperia Z2 After MWC 2014
By Ryan Inoyori | February 25, 2014 2:37 PM EST
Sony formally announced the Xperia Z2 Sirius as its 2014 flagship smartphone to go against Apple's iPhone 5S and Samsung's Galaxy S5. Here are the top 20 reasons why buyers should choose the Sony Xperia Z2 after the Mobile World Congress.
Full Display Experience
Sony upgraded the display screen of Xperia Z1's TFT to IPS LCD on the Xperia Z2. It means that viewing angles for images and videos are better using In-Plane Switching technology. Users will have more maximised usage on Triluminos and X-Reality display engines on almost every viewing angle.
Moreover, the Xperia Z2's pixel density is 424 ppi with shatter proof and scratch-resistant glass for daily protection against drops and shocks.
Brand New User Interface
The Xperia Z2 runs Android 4.4.2 KitKat with new Xperia Home launcher on top featuring two UI versions---original and simple. Owners can now choose between the classic Sony UI and the simple version for a less complicated interface.
The Xperia Home UI is also lighter on the system and contains Sony's exclusive media apps and several exclusive apps such as Sony Select and my Xperia locator.
New Camera Modes
Potential buyers should know that the Xperia Z2 features new additional camera modes such as 4K video recording and Timeshift video. Almost similar with Timeshift Burst, Timeshift video records at 120 fps 720p HD which allows users to modify one or multiple parts to create slow-motion effect. After editing, the video will be saved on 30 fps with the changes including the audio. Users can also re-edit the initial capture since it is also stored on the Album app.
The Galaxy S5 features IP-67 rating for dust and water-resistance of up 3 m for a 30-minute fresh water submersion. However, nothing beats underwater shot using a dedicated camera key that the Xperia Z2 features. Get instant capture and recording in the pool with just one click. Users may also want to experiment with camera modes under water for fantastic effects.
Better Power Management
The Xperia Z2 has a non-removable 3,200 mAh battery, while the Galaxy S5 has 2,800 mAh. Setting aside removable and non-removable battery units, Sony upgraded its power management feature even further on Android 4.4.2 KitKat. STAMINA mode significantly keep apps from draining power while the device is on idle mode.
Moreover, users can customise which apps should be active by putting them on a white list under STAMINA mode. During battery depletion, users can enable Low-Battery mode to juice more power by keeping other functions on hold such as Wi-Fi, mobile data, GPS and Bluetooth.
Additional Factors on Xperia Z2
Those are just five among several key points on why potential buyers should choose the Xperia Z2. Below are additional 15 features for amazing user experience:
1. Huge 3 GB of RAM for more multitasking needs
2. 20.7 MP Sony G lens camera
3. BIONZ imaging processor for less noise and less blur
4. Back-side illumination or BSI sensor for low-light scenes
5. 4K video recording for larger TV screens
6. SteadyShot to prevent blurring during video recording
7. Nine camera apps free to download
8. Digital noise cancellation for reducing up to 98 per cent of ambient sounds
9. Stereo speakers for better audio experience
10. Five sound engines to improve audio output
11. Premium design made from glass panels and aluminium frame
12. Snapdragon 801 and Adreno 330 for fast processing and increased graphic performance with the lowest possible power consumption
13. Various compatible accessories: SmartBand, Digital NC Headset, Magnetic Charger, Keyboard
14. PlayStation certified
15. Gesture input and up to 10 multi-touch finger support.
Due to its premium crafting and upgraded features, Xperia Z2 will be sold on such a steep price. In the UK, it is priced at £599, while in Germany it's €599 and €699 in France. It is expected to be officially released by March 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Destiny Beta Now into Maintenance; Xbox One Version Prepped for 1080p in Final Run
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales