Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather Officially Picks Marcos Maidana Over Amir Khan
By James Patrick Quizon | February 25, 2014 1:14 PM EST
With a simple tweet, Floyd Mayweather Jr. picked his opponent for May 2014: Marcos Maidana will be fighting boxing’s world number one setting up what is a clash of fighters with different styles and a match considered to be the marquee fight of the year.
— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) February 25, 2014
Robert Garcia, Maidan’s chief trainer and Alex Ariza, the team’s strength and conditioning coach were obviously ecstatic that their fighter gets a shot at the best boxer in the planet. Both showed excitement in separate interviews with fighthype.com.
"I was so confident and I was so sure that it should be us, but then, a few weeks later, we start hearing that Amir Khan is involved and it's going to be a decision between Amir Khan and Maidana. Then the poll, you know, the fans are going to vote, so all of that was kind of like a little upsetting for the team because we felt that nobody else deserves a shot against Mayweather than Maidana, especially winning his last 4 fights at welterweight, winning them all," said Garcia.
"You have to work, man, and he worked for that win and he worked for that victory. He worked and Maidana won that spot to fight Floyd. You gotta earn that spot, man. You really do. The fans aren't stupid. The fans want what the fans want and the fans want that. We know that Maidana's got power, so knowing that he's got power and he's got pop, anything can happen," shared Ariza.
Maidana carries a record of 35 wins and 3 losses entering the match-up with the undefeated Mayweather. (45-0-0). The 30-year-old Argentine also carries knockout power with a KO percentage of 81.58 in his fights after sending 31 opponents to the canvass.
Maidana was impressive in his last four bouts with wins over Adrien Broner (via unanimous decision); Josesito Lopez (TKO); Angel Martinez (KO); and Jesus Soto Karass (TKO).
The Mayweather-Maidana fight is scheduled on May 3, 2014 at the MGM Grand in Nevada, Las Vegas. The bout will be for the WBC welterweight and WBA World welterweight titles
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’