Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather Officially Picks Marcos Maidana Over Amir Khan
By James Patrick Quizon | February 25, 2014 1:14 PM EST
With a simple tweet, Floyd Mayweather Jr. picked his opponent for May 2014: Marcos Maidana will be fighting boxing’s world number one setting up what is a clash of fighters with different styles and a match considered to be the marquee fight of the year.
— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) February 25, 2014
Robert Garcia, Maidan’s chief trainer and Alex Ariza, the team’s strength and conditioning coach were obviously ecstatic that their fighter gets a shot at the best boxer in the planet. Both showed excitement in separate interviews with fighthype.com.
"I was so confident and I was so sure that it should be us, but then, a few weeks later, we start hearing that Amir Khan is involved and it's going to be a decision between Amir Khan and Maidana. Then the poll, you know, the fans are going to vote, so all of that was kind of like a little upsetting for the team because we felt that nobody else deserves a shot against Mayweather than Maidana, especially winning his last 4 fights at welterweight, winning them all," said Garcia.
"You have to work, man, and he worked for that win and he worked for that victory. He worked and Maidana won that spot to fight Floyd. You gotta earn that spot, man. You really do. The fans aren't stupid. The fans want what the fans want and the fans want that. We know that Maidana's got power, so knowing that he's got power and he's got pop, anything can happen," shared Ariza.
Maidana carries a record of 35 wins and 3 losses entering the match-up with the undefeated Mayweather. (45-0-0). The 30-year-old Argentine also carries knockout power with a KO percentage of 81.58 in his fights after sending 31 opponents to the canvass.
Maidana was impressive in his last four bouts with wins over Adrien Broner (via unanimous decision); Josesito Lopez (TKO); Angel Martinez (KO); and Jesus Soto Karass (TKO).
The Mayweather-Maidana fight is scheduled on May 3, 2014 at the MGM Grand in Nevada, Las Vegas. The bout will be for the WBC welterweight and WBA World welterweight titles
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon