Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather Officially Picks Marcos Maidana Over Amir Khan
By James Patrick Quizon | February 25, 2014 1:14 PM EST
With a simple tweet, Floyd Mayweather Jr. picked his opponent for May 2014: Marcos Maidana will be fighting boxing’s world number one setting up what is a clash of fighters with different styles and a match considered to be the marquee fight of the year.
— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) February 25, 2014
Robert Garcia, Maidan’s chief trainer and Alex Ariza, the team’s strength and conditioning coach were obviously ecstatic that their fighter gets a shot at the best boxer in the planet. Both showed excitement in separate interviews with fighthype.com.
"I was so confident and I was so sure that it should be us, but then, a few weeks later, we start hearing that Amir Khan is involved and it's going to be a decision between Amir Khan and Maidana. Then the poll, you know, the fans are going to vote, so all of that was kind of like a little upsetting for the team because we felt that nobody else deserves a shot against Mayweather than Maidana, especially winning his last 4 fights at welterweight, winning them all," said Garcia.
"You have to work, man, and he worked for that win and he worked for that victory. He worked and Maidana won that spot to fight Floyd. You gotta earn that spot, man. You really do. The fans aren't stupid. The fans want what the fans want and the fans want that. We know that Maidana's got power, so knowing that he's got power and he's got pop, anything can happen," shared Ariza.
Maidana carries a record of 35 wins and 3 losses entering the match-up with the undefeated Mayweather. (45-0-0). The 30-year-old Argentine also carries knockout power with a KO percentage of 81.58 in his fights after sending 31 opponents to the canvass.
Maidana was impressive in his last four bouts with wins over Adrien Broner (via unanimous decision); Josesito Lopez (TKO); Angel Martinez (KO); and Jesus Soto Karass (TKO).
The Mayweather-Maidana fight is scheduled on May 3, 2014 at the MGM Grand in Nevada, Las Vegas. The bout will be for the WBC welterweight and WBA World welterweight titles
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date