Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather Officially Picks Marcos Maidana Over Amir Khan
By James Patrick Quizon | February 25, 2014 1:14 PM EST
With a simple tweet, Floyd Mayweather Jr. picked his opponent for May 2014: Marcos Maidana will be fighting boxing’s world number one setting up what is a clash of fighters with different styles and a match considered to be the marquee fight of the year.
— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) February 25, 2014
Robert Garcia, Maidan’s chief trainer and Alex Ariza, the team’s strength and conditioning coach were obviously ecstatic that their fighter gets a shot at the best boxer in the planet. Both showed excitement in separate interviews with fighthype.com.
"I was so confident and I was so sure that it should be us, but then, a few weeks later, we start hearing that Amir Khan is involved and it's going to be a decision between Amir Khan and Maidana. Then the poll, you know, the fans are going to vote, so all of that was kind of like a little upsetting for the team because we felt that nobody else deserves a shot against Mayweather than Maidana, especially winning his last 4 fights at welterweight, winning them all," said Garcia.
"You have to work, man, and he worked for that win and he worked for that victory. He worked and Maidana won that spot to fight Floyd. You gotta earn that spot, man. You really do. The fans aren't stupid. The fans want what the fans want and the fans want that. We know that Maidana's got power, so knowing that he's got power and he's got pop, anything can happen," shared Ariza.
Maidana carries a record of 35 wins and 3 losses entering the match-up with the undefeated Mayweather. (45-0-0). The 30-year-old Argentine also carries knockout power with a KO percentage of 81.58 in his fights after sending 31 opponents to the canvass.
Maidana was impressive in his last four bouts with wins over Adrien Broner (via unanimous decision); Josesito Lopez (TKO); Angel Martinez (KO); and Jesus Soto Karass (TKO).
The Mayweather-Maidana fight is scheduled on May 3, 2014 at the MGM Grand in Nevada, Las Vegas. The bout will be for the WBC welterweight and WBA World welterweight titles
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million