‘House of Cards’ Season 2 Episode 1 Shocking Death, Part of Plan [SPOILERS]
By Anshu Shrivastava | February 25, 2014 11:45 AM EST
In "House of Cards" Season 2 Episode 1, Francis Underwood is on the verge of becoming the Vice President of America, while Zoe is an inch away from finding out the truth about Peter Russo's death. The result Underwood buried Zoe as well as her proof against him by throwing her in front of a speeding Metro train, making it look like she committed suicide.
The death of a major character in the first episode of Season 2 has come as a shocker to the unsuspecting viewers. However, the killing of Zoe was planned in advance and was not a last minute decision. Beau Willimon, creator of "House of Cards," said to "CBS This Morning" that Kate Mara, who plays Zoe, knew from the beginning that her character is going to die. "I always knew that Zoe was going to meet her maker, the first episode of season two. That had to happen," Willimon said to "CBS This Morning."
The death of Zoe raises the question how far Underwood will go to achieve what he wants, according to Willimon. Francis killing Zoe, according to Willimon, is a "natural progression."
What else happened in Episode 1 of "House of Cards" Season 2: Claire Underwood showed her ruthless side, as well. She handled the wrongful termination lawsuit, with a cold, calculative, brutal move. Claire outed Gillian's identity to her lover's wife, and then got her health insurance cancelled. The cancellation of health insurance made Gillian unable to get medication needed for her geriatric pregnancy. In exchange for dropping of the charges against her, Claire offered Gillian the job to run Clean Water Initiative, without any condition attached.
Doug Stamper is taking care of Rachel, keeping her out of sight and barring her from creating any trouble for Underwood.
Underwood wants Jackie, the congresswoman with military service background, to be the new majority, taking his place. To his colleagues, Underwood, however, pretends that he does not have a choice and is not endorsing any candidate.
At the end of the episode, Underwood says: "There is but one rule, hunt or be hunted," hinting that the killing of Zoe was in accordance with that rule.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'