Keisha Castle-Hughes Opens Up About Bipolar Disorder Following Charlotte Dawson’s Death
By Anne Lu | February 25, 2014 10:38 AM EST
Keisha Castle-Hughes has proudly spoken up about having a bipolar disorder in the wake of fellow Kiwi Charlotte Dawson’s death in Sydney. The Australian-born, Oscar-nominated actress receives praise for speaking about her battle with mental illness.
Castle-Hughes wrote about her ongoing battle with mental illness and addiction, as well as being “wired in a way where the simple ebbs & flows of life can throw us off-balance,” telling readers that they shouldn’t be ashamed of their condition.
“There is so much stigma attached to mental illness and we have been given an opportunity now to openly have a conversation about what we can do to help others and reach out when we need,” she continued.
“There have been times when it all seemed too much and I understand the darkness, how easy it is to not see any way out. Never be ashamed of who you are, ESPECIALLY if you have been lucky enough to be blessed with a different way of feeling/thinking/doing.
“It is our duty to take the time to ask people, close or stranger, who they are.”
The Kiwi star, who was nominated for Best Actress at the 76th Academy Awards for her role in “Whale Rider,” also mentioned Dawson’s death in her post.
“Charlotte Dawson’s death is an absolute tragedy but herein is a very real yet harsh lesson for us all to never ignore mental illness,” she wrote.
Upon learning of Dawson’s death on Saturday, Castle-Hughes expressed her sadness over her untimely passing.
My heart is broken. We have lost a truly special wahine today. Moe mai Ra Charlotte.
— kemamo (@kecahu) February 22, 2014
Castle-Hughes’ husband, Jonathan Morrison, revealed to Woman’s Day magazine earlier in February that he was diagnosed with stress disorder in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales