Keisha Castle-Hughes Opens Up About Bipolar Disorder Following Charlotte Dawson’s Death
By Anne Lu | February 25, 2014 10:38 AM EST
Keisha Castle-Hughes has proudly spoken up about having a bipolar disorder in the wake of fellow Kiwi Charlotte Dawson’s death in Sydney. The Australian-born, Oscar-nominated actress receives praise for speaking about her battle with mental illness.
Castle-Hughes wrote about her ongoing battle with mental illness and addiction, as well as being “wired in a way where the simple ebbs & flows of life can throw us off-balance,” telling readers that they shouldn’t be ashamed of their condition.
“There is so much stigma attached to mental illness and we have been given an opportunity now to openly have a conversation about what we can do to help others and reach out when we need,” she continued.
“There have been times when it all seemed too much and I understand the darkness, how easy it is to not see any way out. Never be ashamed of who you are, ESPECIALLY if you have been lucky enough to be blessed with a different way of feeling/thinking/doing.
“It is our duty to take the time to ask people, close or stranger, who they are.”
The Kiwi star, who was nominated for Best Actress at the 76th Academy Awards for her role in “Whale Rider,” also mentioned Dawson’s death in her post.
“Charlotte Dawson’s death is an absolute tragedy but herein is a very real yet harsh lesson for us all to never ignore mental illness,” she wrote.
Upon learning of Dawson’s death on Saturday, Castle-Hughes expressed her sadness over her untimely passing.
My heart is broken. We have lost a truly special wahine today. Moe mai Ra Charlotte.
— kemamo (@kecahu) February 22, 2014
Castle-Hughes’ husband, Jonathan Morrison, revealed to Woman’s Day magazine earlier in February that he was diagnosed with stress disorder in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected