Keisha Castle-Hughes Opens Up About Bipolar Disorder Following Charlotte Dawson’s Death
By Anne Lu | February 25, 2014 10:38 AM EST
Keisha Castle-Hughes has proudly spoken up about having a bipolar disorder in the wake of fellow Kiwi Charlotte Dawson’s death in Sydney. The Australian-born, Oscar-nominated actress receives praise for speaking about her battle with mental illness.
Castle-Hughes wrote about her ongoing battle with mental illness and addiction, as well as being “wired in a way where the simple ebbs & flows of life can throw us off-balance,” telling readers that they shouldn’t be ashamed of their condition.
“There is so much stigma attached to mental illness and we have been given an opportunity now to openly have a conversation about what we can do to help others and reach out when we need,” she continued.
“There have been times when it all seemed too much and I understand the darkness, how easy it is to not see any way out. Never be ashamed of who you are, ESPECIALLY if you have been lucky enough to be blessed with a different way of feeling/thinking/doing.
“It is our duty to take the time to ask people, close or stranger, who they are.”
The Kiwi star, who was nominated for Best Actress at the 76th Academy Awards for her role in “Whale Rider,” also mentioned Dawson’s death in her post.
“Charlotte Dawson’s death is an absolute tragedy but herein is a very real yet harsh lesson for us all to never ignore mental illness,” she wrote.
Upon learning of Dawson’s death on Saturday, Castle-Hughes expressed her sadness over her untimely passing.
My heart is broken. We have lost a truly special wahine today. Moe mai Ra Charlotte.
— kemamo (@kecahu) February 22, 2014
Castle-Hughes’ husband, Jonathan Morrison, revealed to Woman’s Day magazine earlier in February that he was diagnosed with stress disorder in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks