Keisha Castle-Hughes Opens Up About Bipolar Disorder Following Charlotte Dawson’s Death
By Anne Lu | February 25, 2014 10:38 AM EST
Keisha Castle-Hughes has proudly spoken up about having a bipolar disorder in the wake of fellow Kiwi Charlotte Dawson’s death in Sydney. The Australian-born, Oscar-nominated actress receives praise for speaking about her battle with mental illness.
Castle-Hughes wrote about her ongoing battle with mental illness and addiction, as well as being “wired in a way where the simple ebbs & flows of life can throw us off-balance,” telling readers that they shouldn’t be ashamed of their condition.
“There is so much stigma attached to mental illness and we have been given an opportunity now to openly have a conversation about what we can do to help others and reach out when we need,” she continued.
“There have been times when it all seemed too much and I understand the darkness, how easy it is to not see any way out. Never be ashamed of who you are, ESPECIALLY if you have been lucky enough to be blessed with a different way of feeling/thinking/doing.
“It is our duty to take the time to ask people, close or stranger, who they are.”
The Kiwi star, who was nominated for Best Actress at the 76th Academy Awards for her role in “Whale Rider,” also mentioned Dawson’s death in her post.
“Charlotte Dawson’s death is an absolute tragedy but herein is a very real yet harsh lesson for us all to never ignore mental illness,” she wrote.
Upon learning of Dawson’s death on Saturday, Castle-Hughes expressed her sadness over her untimely passing.
My heart is broken. We have lost a truly special wahine today. Moe mai Ra Charlotte.
— kemamo (@kecahu) February 22, 2014
Castle-Hughes’ husband, Jonathan Morrison, revealed to Woman’s Day magazine earlier in February that he was diagnosed with stress disorder in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic in More ‘Beast’ Action, Nathan Fillion Mulls Caskett Wedding Schedule
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015