Leopard Enters Indian City Hospital, Injures Six; Authorities Close Down Schools, Colleges [VIDEO]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 25, 2014 1:02 AM EST
In a shocking incident, a wild leopard strolled into a hospital and attacked six people in the Northern Indian city of Meerut in Uttar Pradesh. The entire city was then put on a lockdown, while schools and colleges have been shut.
The animal, which was first spotted in the city on Sunday, was captured late in the afternoon on Monday.
Meerut, which lies between the plains of the Ganges and those of the Yamuna, has a population of 3.5 million, and the entire city came to a stand still. The leopard was captured but not before it left six people injured, a report in Press Trust of India (PTI) news agency noted. A press photographer is understood to be one of the people who were attacked.
The army personnel, by Monday afternoon, got involved in the operation. However, as per sources, the civilian population still turned up around the area to catch a glimpse of the animal.
A Defence spokesperson informed that the Army first cordoned off the densely populated area and then summoned an expert team from the Wildlife Trust. According to forest officials, the leopard strayed into the city from the neighboring jungles. It was tranquilised and was taken by the forest officials, who plan to release it into the wild.
There have been an increase in the man-animal conflict, reported from India. Last November, in the South Indian state of Karnataka, three incidents of attacks on humans, by a man-eater tiger, was reported.
Similarly, in an alarming video footage from Mumbai, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the country, a leopard was seen creeping into an residence block and snatching a small dog, which it quickly dragged away from the scene.
Meanwhile, several people took to Twitter to give updates on the incident in Meerut.
— Hindustan Times (@htTweets) February 24, 2014
This isn't photoshopped. Leopard on the loose in Uttar Pradesh, India. http://t.co/tK30jhdYMU @BBCOS — Ros Atkins (@BBCRosAtkins) February 24, 2014
— Sonia Faleiro (@soniafaleiro) February 24, 2014
Leopard scare in #Meerut! Have they heard of a tranquilliser gun??! Instead of beating it with lathis to incapacitate the lost creature. — Palak Singh Rajawat (@palaksinghrajaw) February 24, 2014
Watch Leopard Attack Video
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6