Leopard Enters Indian City Hospital, Injures Six; Authorities Close Down Schools, Colleges [VIDEO]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 25, 2014 1:02 AM EST
In a shocking incident, a wild leopard strolled into a hospital and attacked six people in the Northern Indian city of Meerut in Uttar Pradesh. The entire city was then put on a lockdown, while schools and colleges have been shut.
The animal, which was first spotted in the city on Sunday, was captured late in the afternoon on Monday.
Meerut, which lies between the plains of the Ganges and those of the Yamuna, has a population of 3.5 million, and the entire city came to a stand still. The leopard was captured but not before it left six people injured, a report in Press Trust of India (PTI) news agency noted. A press photographer is understood to be one of the people who were attacked.
The army personnel, by Monday afternoon, got involved in the operation. However, as per sources, the civilian population still turned up around the area to catch a glimpse of the animal.
A Defence spokesperson informed that the Army first cordoned off the densely populated area and then summoned an expert team from the Wildlife Trust. According to forest officials, the leopard strayed into the city from the neighboring jungles. It was tranquilised and was taken by the forest officials, who plan to release it into the wild.
There have been an increase in the man-animal conflict, reported from India. Last November, in the South Indian state of Karnataka, three incidents of attacks on humans, by a man-eater tiger, was reported.
Similarly, in an alarming video footage from Mumbai, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the country, a leopard was seen creeping into an residence block and snatching a small dog, which it quickly dragged away from the scene.
Meanwhile, several people took to Twitter to give updates on the incident in Meerut.
— Hindustan Times (@htTweets) February 24, 2014
This isn't photoshopped. Leopard on the loose in Uttar Pradesh, India. http://t.co/tK30jhdYMU @BBCOS — Ros Atkins (@BBCRosAtkins) February 24, 2014
— Sonia Faleiro (@soniafaleiro) February 24, 2014
Leopard scare in #Meerut! Have they heard of a tranquilliser gun??! Instead of beating it with lathis to incapacitate the lost creature. — Palak Singh Rajawat (@palaksinghrajaw) February 24, 2014
Watch Leopard Attack Video
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery