Leopard Enters Indian City Hospital, Injures Six; Authorities Close Down Schools, Colleges [VIDEO]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 25, 2014 1:02 AM EST
In a shocking incident, a wild leopard strolled into a hospital and attacked six people in the Northern Indian city of Meerut in Uttar Pradesh. The entire city was then put on a lockdown, while schools and colleges have been shut.
The animal, which was first spotted in the city on Sunday, was captured late in the afternoon on Monday.
Meerut, which lies between the plains of the Ganges and those of the Yamuna, has a population of 3.5 million, and the entire city came to a stand still. The leopard was captured but not before it left six people injured, a report in Press Trust of India (PTI) news agency noted. A press photographer is understood to be one of the people who were attacked.
The army personnel, by Monday afternoon, got involved in the operation. However, as per sources, the civilian population still turned up around the area to catch a glimpse of the animal.
A Defence spokesperson informed that the Army first cordoned off the densely populated area and then summoned an expert team from the Wildlife Trust. According to forest officials, the leopard strayed into the city from the neighboring jungles. It was tranquilised and was taken by the forest officials, who plan to release it into the wild.
There have been an increase in the man-animal conflict, reported from India. Last November, in the South Indian state of Karnataka, three incidents of attacks on humans, by a man-eater tiger, was reported.
Similarly, in an alarming video footage from Mumbai, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the country, a leopard was seen creeping into an residence block and snatching a small dog, which it quickly dragged away from the scene.
Meanwhile, several people took to Twitter to give updates on the incident in Meerut.
— Hindustan Times (@htTweets) February 24, 2014
This isn't photoshopped. Leopard on the loose in Uttar Pradesh, India. http://t.co/tK30jhdYMU @BBCOS — Ros Atkins (@BBCRosAtkins) February 24, 2014
— Sonia Faleiro (@soniafaleiro) February 24, 2014
Leopard scare in #Meerut! Have they heard of a tranquilliser gun??! Instead of beating it with lathis to incapacitate the lost creature. — Palak Singh Rajawat (@palaksinghrajaw) February 24, 2014
Watch Leopard Attack Video
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James