OS Update Is Definite As Microsoft Announces Schedule
By Judith Aparri | February 24, 2014 11:22 PM EST
Windows Phone operating system will get new features that will elate its enterprise users. The update will add security options like signed and encrypted Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) and the automatic trigger of the virtual private network client if there is an access to the enterprise resource. This was announced by Microsoft Corporate Vice President Joe Belfiore at the news conference of the Mobile Congress.
Belfiore added another support will be for enterprise Wi-Fi systems with Extensible Authentication Protocol-Transport Layer Security (EAP-TLS) encryption, Mobile Device Management (MDM) policies and certificate management to update, revoke and enroll credentials for authentication.
The change is usually an upgrade from Windows Phone 7 to Windows 8 where devices are upgraded to 7.5 but not the recent 8.0 version.
Microsoft will support screen buttons with 8.1 alongside new hardware support for 400 LTE, Snapdragon 20 and 400 chipsets. This will allow phonemakers to create a cheaper device to tap more market while manufacturers can reuse the Android handsets that they already have. The spring update has a support for applications saved on microSD cards. This allows makers to ship the units with a 4 GB storage and 512 MB memory.
These updates were first mentioned by Microsoft in the middle of 2013. Thus, they have been coming a long time and another thing not known yet is when these will be available to the users. Balfiore pointed out all devices of Windows Phone 8 will be available for update, although OS updates are usually deployed by carriers so there is no need to reach all users simultaneously.
They will come as Windows Phone sees success in Europe and some developing markets. The OS has 10 percent market share in Europe, an estimate stated. Nokia's 520 handset was UK's third best-selling phone in December, ahead of all Android phones.
Nokia has also surpassed BlackBerry in the global arena and become a top three player. Gartner figures revealed its share in the global market is an estimated 3.2 percent in 2013, ranking well behind the top second platform iOS, which is at 15.6 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit